TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Auto-wiper issues - could it be caused by opti-coat?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Zarwin, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

#1 Zarwin, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    Not sure if this should be in the interior/exterior subforum.

When the auto-wipers are on, regardless of how light or hard the rain is, they start out slow and then speed up to full speed (highest speed) after 30 seconds or so. This happens in any type of rain, even in a mist or very light rain. Once they go full speed, they rarely slow down and I just turn them off and on to slow them down. I do have opti-coat on the windshield and want to know if any others with opti-coat on the windshield are seeing this issue, or is this something defective with my car that the service center needs to address?

Edit: I'll add that this happens in the first wiper position (low sensitivity) as well as in the second of course (high sensitivity).

2. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I have OptiGlass on my windshield but don't see think kind of behavior--probably worth a call to the SvC, should like some issue with the sensor.

O

3. hbombdaddy

hbombdaddy Member

I was thinking about getting optiglass, I love opticoat on paint I hate the wipers, not fast enough in heavy rain, does optiglass fix this problem?

howard in cincinnati

4. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

#4 Zarwin, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    I guess I'll add that in heavy rain (edit: or moderate rain), I can usually just not use the wipers due to the opti-coat. In very light rain/mist, the water beads so tiny I have to use the wipers and have switched to just pushing the button on the end of the stick manually instead of trying to use the auto-sensing wipers since they just go crazy. A very basic timed intermittent wiper would be far better than the auto-sensing wipers for me.

5. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I am not sure about really heavy rain, but in most cases, I can get away with not turning on my wipers if I am going a reasonable speed as the rain is pushed off by the airflow.

O

6. JPP

JPP Active Member

Haven't seen it on my S with OptiCoat Pro including the glass.

7. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

Thanks, good to know. I'll wait until my first service and ask them to take a look at it then.

8. dave

dave Member

I don't have Opticoat on my glass, and I do see poor automatic wiper performance. Not fast enough, and not intuitive at all. It's been a complaint of owners for a long time.

The automatic wipers are so bad I would much rather have a manual turn dial for intermittent wipers.

9. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Member

I've the OptiGlass coating and the wipers seem to behave independently of the rainfall intensity...

What I'd like to see is a learning algorithm. So basically when it's raining, the driver presses to wipe depending on the rain and car speed, over time the car learns the pattern and adapts.

Now that would be good - and not difficult either.

10. trigga71

trigga71 Member

Not adding much to the topic but this is true. They need a faster high speed.

11. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Member

I find they're super-fast in light rain and not fast enough in heavy rain...

BTW, should have added that although my glass is Opti'd, with the new Bosch I fitted yesterday all my smearing and juddering is gone. On top of that the wipers are not much, much quieter.

12. tliving

tliving Member

I have OptiGlass to and zero issues with it. I will say that there's not much value in OptiGlass on the windshield. The side/rear windows its great on but the wipers seem to do a number of the windshield itself so there's not much point in spending the money on it.

13. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Mine seen to have a mind of their own--too slow, then too fast, then too slow...but, we don't get a lot of rain out here so I don't see them in action very often.

14. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Member

Since I changed to the Bosch blades my wiper experience is totally transformed. Before they sounded like a couple of fish being slapped against the glass and with about the same efficiency or perhaps like a couple of injured cormorants in their final death throes.

Now they silent on operation, the deference is just phenomenal.

15. LarryC

LarryC Member

I don't have Opticoat and it hasn't rained in Southern California since I bought the car, but the SC told me when I picked up my car that the system was based on Mercedes' and I absolutely hated the MB speed algorithm in the three MBs I've had over the past 5 years. I wish I could turn off "auto". I would much prefer the tried and true manual speed setting approach.

16. russman

russman Member

Do you have a link to the blades you purchased?

17. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Member

On Europe they are Bosch Aerotwin AM18U & 28U