Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto wiper suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the wipers keep getting better, but they still aren't there yet and I would love some more manual controls to keep me sane (and safe) until they get this neural network stuff figured out. I've heard voice controls are supposedly coming, but they take way too long (especially when your car has just been hit with spray). What do you think of these ideas:
  • Temporarily allow drivers to change the wiper setting via the left scroll wheel whenever the stalk button is pressed and the wiper controls are onscreen.
  • Kick the wiper speed up a setting, at least temporarily, whenever the wipers are active and the stalk button is pressed (even if wipers are set to auto)

Auto wipers needs a slide bar or multiple settings like low, med, high so that each user can tune the wipers to their liking. The real fix is to get the camera farther away from the windshield. My recommendation is to located the camera on the back of the monitor so that the camera see a wider view and not just a small spot at the top of the windshield.

Reactions: Big-T
I know the wipers keep getting better, but they still aren't there yet and I would love some more manual controls to keep me sane (and safe) until they get this neural network stuff figured out. I've heard voice controls are supposedly coming, but they take way too long (especially when your car has just been hit with spray). What do you think of these ideas:
  • Temporarily allow drivers to change the wiper setting via the left scroll wheel whenever the stalk button is pressed and the wiper controls are onscreen.
  • Kick the wiper speed up a setting, at least temporarily, whenever the wipers are active and the stalk button is pressed (even if wipers are set to auto)

How about a single press of the button wipes, but a double tap engages the wipers to “on”. Then each tap cycles slow, med, fast. Double-tap for off.

I like the first idea if the one step increments from the scroll wheel were the entire range from stop to highest speed. Though if it started raining hard and you scrolled up quickly but the onscreen wiper control had timed out, you could be taking a hit to your ears from the sound system.

The real fix is to get the camera farther away from the windshield. My recommendation is to located the camera on the back of the monitor so that the camera see a wider view and not just a small spot at the top of the windshield.
I think the real fix would be a $10 rain sensor of the kind that has worked reliably in other cars for decades. ;)

I'd like a double-click on the wiper button to activate continuous wiping. My biggest problem is that it sometimes doesn't come on at all, especially when the windshield is sprayed by other cars driving in front of you. But I also like the idea of the scroll wheel controlling the speed while the wiper card is up on the screen.

How about a single press of the button wipes, but a double tap engages the wipers to “on”. Then each tap cycles slow, med, fast. Double-tap for off.

I like this idea. I think the scroll wheel is unnecessary considering the sole purpose of pushing in the stalk is to control the wipers.

Considering these cars are so advanced it’s a huge disappointment that the auto wipers don’t work nearly as well as the auto wipers on the 2004 Mazda 3 that I used to have.

We should all submit bug report suggestions regarding this.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I actually have been submitting bug reports for this sort of stuff, and I do it EVERY time i have an "issue" like the wipers not just once. Someone at Tesla is aggregating the data to see what issues are rising to the surface. Folks submitting a bug report once the wipers once won't get any traction, but submitting it every time you're using them in the rain and they're annoying you just might (if enough people do it)

On a related note, I wish the bug report captured more than a sentence or so, this isn't twitter - I'd often like to explain the issue a little more thoroughly but I see the report will cut me off.

The issues are:

1. Difficulty in fumbling around the on-screen UI while its raining.
2. The wiper NN appears to have no "memory" or any sequence of states to understand that its continuously raining or that its underperforming.

As I result, I had the exact same ideas as what you posted.

Voice command.
Wiper off, slow, medium or fast.
Wiper auto.
Wiper auto more sensitive.
Wiper auto less sensitive.
<sudden downpour blinds driver>
<driver pushes voice button>
<driver waits for voice prompt>
Car: "beep"
Driver: "turn on wiper"
Car: "OK, playing Wiper by TomDJ"
Driver: "No you *$&#$@, turn on the wipers"
Car: "Sorry, I don't know how to burn the diapers"
Driver: "@*$*#%#"
<crash>

;)

I really like the idea of being able to adjust the sensitivity. Overall I feel the wipers are too agressive. Here in seattle we get plenty of light rain / drizzle and I need the lowest speed (on manual) to start at like 1/2 or 2/3 the speed it is now, and then just have a slider with waaaay more than 3 settings to get it where I want....Heck every car I've ever owned has had probably 6-8 "intermittent" wiper settings between the lowest to highest speed.

IMHO, glancing at the screen to locate one button is no different from glancing at the speedo. "Fumbling" would indicate that your hand is moving around erratically on the screen and likely pressing the wrong buttons.

Were it just glancing at information, I’d agree. (And argue that a HUD is still better, but I digress ...)

But when I have to glance, find the menu, press the appropriate button for the speed I need ... I’d argue that’s fumbling. And a lot less safe than rotating the end of a signal stalk while I keep my eyes up and on the road.

I love Tesla and all it stands for, but it’s not perfect. There’s definitely some ergonomic compromise in the minimalist interior.

Reactions: Drewbaloop and zhu-

This is my fave. If the wipers are on Auto and I'm constantly having to press the stalk button for an extra single wipe, that should be a clue to the software that it's no doing it's job and needs to kick it up a notch. It's a simple, elegant solution that takes simple input from the driver to tweak the setting in real-time to that driver's needs.

Reactions: Drewbaloop
But when I have to glance, find the menu, press the appropriate button for the speed I need ... I’d argue that’s fumbling.

I guess I just don't see it as that difficult. I can see the screen clearly in my periphery. I know the wiper card is going to pop up in the lower left corner when I press the button. My hand is already there when I do. Glance. See button near my finger. Press it.

I don't disagree that twisting a stalk is easier, but "fumbling" sound like hyperbole.

I guess I just don't see it as that difficult. I can see the screen clearly in my periphery. I know the wiper card is going to pop up in the lower left corner when I press the button. My hand is already there when I do. Glance. See button near my finger. Press it.

I don't disagree that twisting a stalk is easier, but "fumbling" sound like hyperbole.

Muscle memory matters. For me, it really won’t be a big deal. I’ll have it down pretty quick. But it’s the Wife Factor that matters.

She won’t be driving the Model 3 daily; as a very occasional driver, when it’s raining and she can’t see, the Very Last Thing On Earth I want is for her to have to be hunting for “where the .... is that button again?”

So I think for a daily driver, sure, it’s a little hyperbolic. But for folks who will only drive this thing every month or two, I think fumbling is definitely apt.

Honestly I think the auto wipers on the 3 work really well. I might be the only one who thinks that...My wife on the other hand hates them. She doesn't like the screen option for toggling speed either but instead presses the button. :confused:

In my opinion they work better then the auto wipers on my wifes Volvo and also my old Honda which would go from nothing to hyperdrive speed for no reason at all. They each use a water sensor.