Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers and Auto High Beams issues in Firmware 2018.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My usual car is a 2015 Model S with autopilot 1.0. The automatic wipers have never been perfect, but worked well enough. The auto high beams are always pretty perfect and I almost never need to manually adjust them.
Unfortunately, my car is currently in the shop and I was given a new Model X as a loaner. I've noticed that both the auto wipers and high beams seem to be useless. The auto wipers almost never wipe the windshield before I have to do it manually. Typically, by the time the auto wipers activate, I can barely see through the windshield. For some reason, it does seem like the bottom of the windshield gets a lot wetter than the top where the sensor is, especially if it's largely cars in front of me throwing up water from the road, so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Putting it in the higher sensitivity setting doesn't really seem to help at all.
Also, I almost always have to manually turn off the high beams for oncoming traffic, or they'll flash their high beams at me. They do eventually turn themselves off, but usually way too late. Also seems less sensitive to cars driving in front of me and I usually also have to manually turn them off when I come up on a car driving slower. This is much different than the behavior on the S, where I almost never manually adjust the high beams.
Is this a common issue with AP 2.0? Maybe the auto wipers are related to the design of the windshield on the X?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Interesting. Your experience is quite a bit different than mine. I am pretty impressed with the auto wipers. I’m on 2018.6 and except for an unnneded false-positive single swipe when backing out of my garage sometimes, I find it works about perfectly. It seems to swipe almost exactly when I would if I were swiping completely manually. I keep it on the sensitive setting.

Auto highlight beams also work well for me. If anything, I find they switch from high to low beams a bit too aggressively (i.e. sometimes when there is not an uncoming car). So instead of blinding oncoming drivers, I am sometimes annoyed that the system thinks there is a car and turns off high beams only to turn them back on a second or two later.

Interesting. Your experience is quite a bit different than mine. I am pretty impressed with the auto wipers. I’m on 2018.6 and except for an unnneded false-positive single swipe when backing out of my garage sometimes, I find it works about perfectly. It seems to swipe almost exactly when I would if I were swiping completely manually. I keep it on the sensitive setting.

Auto highlight beams also work well for me. If anything, I find they switch from high to low beams a bit too aggressively (i.e. sometimes when there is not an uncoming car). So instead of blinding oncoming drivers, I am sometimes annoyed that the system thinks there is a car and turns off high beams only to turn them back on a second or two later.
Well that’s strange then. What your describing is pretty much how my S operates, but not at all what I’ve seen with the X (that I’ve had for about a month now and put well over 1k miles on). Looks like we’re on the same FW.

Well that’s strange then. What your describing is pretty much how my S operates, but not at all what I’ve seen with the X (that I’ve had for about a month now and put well over 1k miles on). Looks like we’re on the same FW.

Ah. I have a MS (though it's AutoPilot 2.0) not an MX. Maybe there are some differences because MS and MX and these features (?). But as with many things Tesla, things seem to vary even when people are on the same hardware and software versions. Heck, AutoPilot varies for me sometimes on the same road from day to day ;-).

My March 2017 MX100D has 2018.10.4 8bbdc66 version. I have the exactly the same problem as OP. Almost 90% of the time I use the wipers manually because, the delay between wipes are too long. However, the auto wipers on my 2013 MS85 (w/o autopilot) worked much better.

Wipers were decent before updating to 10.4, now they are useless.

However, the auto lights were always a little late but they seem to be more sensitive since the update. I need more seat time to confirm this.
I read some thread (too many threads...) about 10.4 dividing one camera into quadrants for auto-rain/lights? Maybe it was on reddit? Maybe it on the autonomous forum? That may have tightened up the processing/responding for rain and/or lights.

There really is too much new data when a major update comes out!

Wipers were decent before updating to 10.4, now they are useless.

However, the auto lights were always a little late but they seem to be more sensitive since the update. I need more seat time to confirm this.
Have the same experience. After 10.4 wiper doesn't kick in even when the windshield is completely covered with large rain drops. I am in Vancouver BC . Rains frequently here so I have the auto wiper off

I concluded that they're useless, too. The auto high beams wouldn't even turn on while driving through my empty neighborhood because of the street lights. I gave up and turned them off. And the auto wipers never ran at a speed sufficient to give adequate visibility, so I turned them off, too.

But the most bizarre thing I ever experienced was on a loaner. The wipers would get all the way to the top, and they would just freeze, and then they would move a little bit, and stop, and move a little bit and stop, and it was the most distracting thing I ever saw on any car in all my life. :confused: