Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers are awful

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was a passenger today on a road that I regularly used as a test route. So I was able to concentrate on the wipers in light misting rain. They were great when in open roads, but the moment we entered heavily tree lined sections, it all went to pot - unprompted the driver asked if the wipers were actually switched on.

So usual wiper nemesis - dark and/or tree lined roads cause wipers to be far from sensitive enough.
Interesting: my wipers generally behave, but the headlights come on under every heavy shadow. I suspect that on country roads with tree shadows my headlights are on 80% of the time.
A question: is there any link between wipers auto on and headlights auto on, or are they totally separate systems?

Interesting: my wipers generally behave, but the headlights come on under every heavy shadow. I suspect that on country roads with tree shadows my headlights are on 80% of the time.
A question: is there any link between wipers auto on and headlights auto on, or are they totally separate systems?

First thing I do when getting into the car is switch the lights off auto ... I find it irritating when the lights come on unnecessarily during the day ... the daylights remain on anyway so there are few occasions when dipped heads are needed.

First thing I do when getting into the car is switch the lights off auto ... I find it irritating when the lights come on unnecessarily during the day ... the daylights remain on anyway so there are few occasions when dipped heads are needed.
I find mine go off after a few seconds except when its raining & the wipers are in use then they tend to stay on even in bright sunlight. I seem to recall that dipped headlights are either recommended or law when driving in rain with wipers active, but not sure!

I find mine go off after a few seconds except when its raining & the wipers are in use then they tend to stay on even in bright sunlight. I seem to recall that dipped headlights are either recommended or law when driving in rain with wipers active, but not sure!

The day lights feature on modern cars covers most daytime use. Some countries require dipped lights when it's raining no matter what. The Highway code just says lights should be used "in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen" ... so it looks like a driver judgement.

The last time I used Angelwax H2Go (RainX type thing) on my car I applied it to all the glass - including the windscreen - and saw a marked improvement in wiper performance. The beading seemed to produce more contrast around the drops and I thought perhaps that was assisting with identification of rain. I meant to take a photo of the drops when I applied it, but might still be able to do that in the areas out with the wipe zone.
Sorry it's taken so long to rain in Glasgow!

Here's a photo showing the difference in contrast and shape of drops in a treated part of the windscreen versus an area that has had the treatment rubbed off by the wipers.
As I said earlier, the wipers were more responsive after the treatment than before. They did go a bit mental when I drove this afternoon. Might reapply the H2Go on the windscreen to see if it improves wiper performance again.
rain-2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Steady rain this morning and all was good. On auto, both intermittent & continuous worked as per the conditions (2021.4.18.2)

However when the rain stopped & I was following a lorry, a build up of fine spray stayed on the windscreen without activating the wipers. I persisted with this for several minutes until it became difficult to see safely & eventually pressed the wipe button on the LH stalk. Presumably this means that camera activation only responds to actual droplets but nothing smaller... so in this case not so good.

Reactions: hcdavis3
However when the rain stopped & I was following a lorry, a build up of fine spray stayed on the windscreen without activating the wipers. I persisted with this for several minutes until it became difficult to see safely & eventually pressed the wipe button on the LH stalk. Presumably this means that camera activation only responds to actual droplets but nothing smaller... so in this case not so good.

My experience completely. They are hopeless/dangerous in spray. [UK] 2021.4.x

Used them today for the first time and whilst a bit trigger happy in very light drizzle even on the lowest setting, they worked OK for heavier rain. Sample size of one so far though.

I've since Rain-X'ed the whole front and rear windows. It's a bit crap that they don't come with a rear wiper. The rear visibility is very poor on these cars (the parcel shelf inclines upwards to the rear window. Why?) but when the rear is covered with tiny droplets of water you can barely see a thing.