Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers are awful

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My worst experience was coming back from Tebay in the dark... throwing it down with rain but because the motorway there has no lights and the surrounding area is dark (and even full beams won't make much difference if there's only the road for the light to hit), the cameras completely failed to function - the wipers wouldn't come on.. they couldn't see anything, because they need light to see.

I've seen less extreme versions of this many times.. darkness seems to really kill the camera.

No excuse for poor wiper performance in the dark ...but ... if it took you more than a couple of seconds to manually switch the wipers on I would be surprised. Crikey, no cars had auto wipers for most of the years cars have existed.

Yea but apart from flick wipe its eyes off the road even for a fleeting glimpse in the very conditions that you need to be concentrating on the road. A lot to be said for some tactical controls.

I say this as someone almost wiped out by a driver who was fumbling for wiper controls after their rental car hit a massive puddle and couldn’t see out the window.

Reactions: candida
Presumably an even bigger piss take when you repeat the voice command half a dozen times and it still doesn’t work.

Very OT but I once had a mate whose mother in law was in his phone under the name ‘the old trout’. Unfortunately she was in the car with him one time and his (probably then) wife had reason to call his mothers home phone. It then became a game of how quietly he could voice dial her without the mother in law hearing.

Presumably an even bigger piss take when you repeat the voice command half a dozen times and it still doesn’t work.

Very OT but I once had a mate whose mother in law was in his phone under the name ‘the old trout’. Unfortunately she was in the car with him one time and his (probably then) wife had reason to call his mothers home phone. It then became a game of how quietly he could voice dial her without the mother in law hearing.
funny - there was a tv advert a few years ago which had exactly this same scenario

This morning my wipers were obviously confused by the low, bright early morning sun. They started manically wiping away at full speed on a dry screen. As a result they have spread loads of muck and crud all over the screen, which I know from experience will be difficult to clean off. Not fit for purpose.

That will be the low sun this time of year - normally only just the one side though and have found that whilst reported, it only affects auto lane change availability in the direction of the blinded camera, ie you can auto lane change to overtake, but it wont let you come back in again - assuming you are heading south in the morning.

That will be the low sun this time of year - normally only just the one side though and have found that whilst reported, it only affects auto lane change availability in the direction of the blinded camera, ie you can auto lane change to overtake, but it wont let you come back in again - assuming you are heading south in the morning.
I get that warning from condensation on the outside of the cameras in the mornings & evenings. I can go round and wipe it off but it is annoying. Possibly if I didn't obsessively clean and polish it the water wouldn't form such fine beads.

Oh, and I had the “multiple cameras blocked or blinded” message for most of my 20 mile drive as well.
That's standard at this time of the year unfortunately ... however (for me) I've not noticed it affecting anything beyond the warning message coming on the screen. It's worth checking in case you have condensation inside the glass of the B pillar cameras ... if it is really noticeable and simply never clears then it is a fault worth reporting.