Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto wipers are not as aggressive as I would want ....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like I'm continuously pressing the button to get the wipers to activate earlier than what "Auto" would do. Anyone else seeing this? I assume there is no adjustment for this. Sometimes I can barely see out the front by the time the Auto mode kicks in and wipes the front. Too delayed IMHO.

Reactions: Kira
My wipers seem to have a mind of their own. Sometimes they come on high and start going crazy and there's barely a drizzle. I usually end up disabling them, then just using the button to manually work. I'm sure they'll improve over time.

Since I got delivery last week, my wipers have been pretty spot-on. For my wife, they start about a second or two to late, but if she just takes a deep breath, then they turn on.
I've notice them starting at a drizzle and moving all the way to a downpour, going from intermittent to full hurricane force rain.

It is sometimes like the autopilot, "I" would have started the turn a half second earlier, but then again, it got the job done.

Agreed most of the time they're not aggressive enough. They do sometimes go nuts if there's a big buildup like after parking and getting back in.

More concerning is that they don't seem to work at night? Last night it wasn't really raining, but there was a ton of water on the road from an earlier storm and it was getting all over the windshield, but auto-wipers were never triggering.

Help may be on the way.

In the Model X is did not come with Automatic windshield wipers when new. A few months ago they were added to all the cars via OTA updates. A few weeks after that the algorithm was again changed to improve the function even more.

Tesla said they are not done with all the features of the Model 3, so I would expect enhancements to be rolled out from time to time.

It is a pretty cool thing when you wake up to a new gadget automagically added to your menu.

I'll try RainX see if that helps. There really is no way someone would prefer to have the blades not move for as long as they do. Seriously, I couldn't even see the road before I manually had to turn them on. Sometimes they work really well. I guess I don't know what is activating them.

I would just like them to at least turn on. Every 2-3 weeks when it rains they simply don't engage and I have to manual adjust them. Hopefully with 2018.18.13 they will be more reliable.
Raining this morning when I went to work and the wipers worked great. Much better than before so I figured 2018.18.13 had finally resolved my wiper problems! Unfortunately, it was still raining on my way home and I had to manually control the wipers until halfway home when they started to work on their own again. strange...

It used to be about spot on for me except for light sprinkles that it would never detect. Then they improved the sprinkle detection (I don't recall the version). Now on 20.3 I agree with the OP, it's just a little too passive. To the point where if I just wait a couple seconds past the urge for a manual wipe it automatically takes care of it. But i feel like my view is overly obstructed during that delay.