Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers Start at Max Speed Every Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed this when they have Auto Wipers (Beta) turned on?

When there is moisture already present on the windshield and I start the car by pressing the brake and being to move, the wipers will start sweeping at full speed for at least 5-10 passes before slowing down to a more reasonable rate based on the actual amount of moisture present. This is almost every time and has been the case through many software updates.

The only time Auto Wipers seem to get it right is when there is no moisture on the car while starting it and then moisture starts to accumulate during a drive, at that point they start at a more normal and less frenetic rate.

It's quite annoying to have them go nuts for a minute every time I get in the car and it's raining or has rained.

Dec 2017 Build / HW 2.5 / SW 2019.36.2.1

Same here.
I have noticed that the new "deep-rain" logic is very good during daytime (apart from the turbo start up), but not so good during night-time.
It's basically sensitive to the external light, under good illumination it works, under low to no light it's too late in starting and too furious in wiping. During night I switch it back to manual.

Interesting. What software version are you all on? I feel the response while driving day/night is fairly spot on and I don''t have too many complaints right now. It's just the turbo speed starting that drives me nuts.

One smaller thing I've noticed while driving though is that the wipers will often hesitate between some wipes, almost like they start and then pause for a fraction of a second before continuing again, like the system wasn't sure what it really wanted to do and at what speed.

Have any noticed that as well?