Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto wipers swipe @ every streetlight...Cannot use Autopilot at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot use my autopilot at night BECAUSE the auto wipers swipe at every streetlight on the expressway. This is way more than an annoyance, and is unacceptable. It has done it since purchase in Dec 2021, and it's a 2022 MYLR. Mentioning this to the service center, I was told "That sounds like a software issue" and I should wait for an update. That was last year.
It wouldn't be so bad if I could turn off the wipers when using autopilot, but that is not an option as it turns it back on when set.
I'm asking if anyone else is having this issue and what was done to correct it. Yes, the glass is spotless.
TIA.

Ugh.

You nailed it with the spotless glass. I'm wondering if there’s a speck of dust or something on the camera lens itself? Even a small chip on the lens? This could get to be a PIA quickly, but you might be able to see the lens clearly enough through the windshield.

This doesn’t sound like a software fix or we would all be seeing this.

Or, I could be just making stuff up here.

Reactions: balalalala
Upvote 0
Ugh.

You nailed it with the spotless glass. I'm wondering if there’s a speck of dust or something on the camera lens itself? Even a small chip on the lens? This could get to be a PIA quickly, but you might be able to see the lens clearly enough through the windshield.

This doesn’t sound like a software fix or we would all be seeing this.

Or, I could be just making stuff upI

I made a service appointment, so we'll see where it goes from there. Honestly, I expected to see a lot more having this issue. Lucky me.

Upvote 0
I made a service appointment, so we'll see where it goes from there. Honestly, I expected to see a lot more having this issue. Lucky me.
I have this issue on my 2020 M3P in the UK. It's a massive PITA, and has been magnified as a pain since the Tesla Vision deployment few updates ago forced auto wipers on with Autopilot.

I was thinking about raising a service appointment too, but I've not done so yet. Have you had yours yet, and did it fix anything?

Upvote 0
just by chance did you have the windshield coated? I had a similar issue where my wipers did this under streetlights and found the cause. I filled up my washer fluid with the RainX solution and started having issues. I siphoned the RainX out per the SC recommendation and bought the cheapest blue stuff and cleaned the windshield at the camera area with 91% isopropyl alcohol and has not happened since.

Upvote 0
I have this issue on my 2020 M3P in the UK. It's a massive PITA, and has been magnified as a pain since the Tesla Vision deployment few updates ago forced auto wipers on with Autopilot.

I was thinking about raising a service appointment too, but I've not done so yet. Have you had yours yet, and did it fix anything?
Service department says "It's a firmware issue". Like i'm supposed to accept that? Trying to contact thim is an endless loop of BS. Not happy.

Upvote 0
just by chance did you have the windshield coated? I had a similar issue where my wipers did this under streetlights and found the cause. I filled up my washer fluid with the RainX solution and started having issues. I siphoned the RainX out per the SC recommendation and bought the cheapest blue stuff and cleaned the windshield at the camera area with 91% isopropyl alcohol and has not happened since.
I did use a sealant, but as I recall I think this happened before I applied. I'm going to take your advice, however, and remove the coating from the sensor area to see what happens. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I cannot use my autopilot at night BECAUSE the auto wipers swipe at every streetlight on the expressway. This is way more than an annoyance, and is unacceptable. It has done it since purchase in Dec 2021, and it's a 2022 MYLR. Mentioning this to the service center, I was told "That sounds like a software issue" and I should wait for an update. That was last year.
It wouldn't be so bad if I could turn off the wipers when using autopilot, but that is not an option as it turns it back on when set.
I'm asking if anyone else is having this issue and what was done to correct it. Yes, the glass is spotless.
TIA.
When you tap the windshield wiper button on the end of the left stalk, a group of icons momentarily appears on the bottom left of the screen that shows Off, I, II, II, Auto for wipers. You can also toggle them off this way.

Or you can go to the "Controls" menu and this same menu will appear at the center of the screen.

Upvote 0
When you tap the windshield wiper button on the end of the left stalk, a group of icons momentarily appears on the bottom left of the screen that shows Off, I, II, II, Auto for wipers. You can also toggle them off this way.

Or you can go to the "Controls" menu and this same menu will appear at the center of the screen.
Nice try. Autopilot doesn’t allow you to turn off auto wipers or auto high beams.

I'm also experiencing this issue. The oncoming headlights or overhead street lamps highlight any moisture or dirt or smudge in front of the cameras. I literally screamed in frustration this morning driving home from work. Just let me use autopilot dammit. I get why it’s set up this way but I never had any problems with my 2020m3 that has the sensors.

Upvote 0
Nice try. Autopilot doesn’t allow you to turn off auto wipers or auto high beams.

I'm also experiencing this issue. The oncoming headlights or overhead street lamps highlight any moisture or dirt or smudge in front of the cameras. I literally screamed in frustration this morning driving home from work. Just let me use autopilot dammit. I get why it’s set up this way but I never had any problems with my 2020m3 that has the sensors.
Hmm...I just came back on an 1100 mile trip over Thanksgiving and I didn't have an issue turning off auto high beams. That being stated, the latest update 2022.44.2, is very good. I drove home last night on a 2 lane undivided road and the auto high beams were very good at toggling back to low beam as soon as there was a hint of oncoming traffic.

Reactions: bastrd_steve
Upvote 0
Just like other people I'm dealing with terrible Auto Wipers. When it's pouring it rarely activates the wipers, instead I have to manually push the button. But sometimes when it's dry, especially at damp nights with street lamps shining, it's wiping like a maniac. Sure, you can turn it to "Off", but Autopilot (including regular Cruise Control) requires them to be in "Auto", and I use Cruise Control regularly.

I searched this forum, but all I could find was a lot of people suggesting to simply turn the wipers "Off". Which means that they also can't use Autopilot either. It seems that some people just accept that certain features they paid for don't work at all. My 2019 RAV4 had auto wipers and they always worked great, and the car costs $30,000 less. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't have to work 100% perfect, but the "Auto" feature doesn't work at all. Yet, it's required for Autopilot.

I'm aware the manual says the Auto wiping feature is in "Beta", but seriously, this has been figured out a long time ago. So you can't just flag it as "Beta" and then say "Don't expect it to work".

Anyway, rant over. My question is: Has anyone experienced similar issues and then actually got it serviced? And if so, how did it go?

Reactions: David2023Y
Upvote 0
There is no service to speak of. There’s nothing for them to “fix”. Tesla tries to accomplish this feature, like everything else, with cameras instead of the $5 dedicated sensor that every other automaker on the planet uses.

With predictable results.

There’s literally nothing a service center can do to improve the functionality of this feature. It’s all software engineering at the mothership, and all you can do is wait for the next release and hope it doesn’t end up being worse.

Acceptable? No. But this is the current reality.

Upvote 0
Service department says "It's a firmware issue". Like i'm supposed to accept that? Trying to contact thim is an endless loop of BS. Not happy.
After weeks of pontificating I bought the S3XY Buttons. I can confirm that this does indeed fix the problem, mostly. Under some rare circumstances the wipers do still evade the wizardry of the S3XY Buttons Commander unit, but that's very much the exception.

It's annoying to have to use a third party gadget to fix a software problem, but there are a bunch of other nice features too, like charge port unlocking by half-opening the rear left door handle. No buyer's remorse here.

Reactions: GtiMart
Upvote 0
This is seriously driving me insane - especially when the wipers starts jumping due to dry windows (see video). This happens 20 % of the time when driving at night, if you can endure it and don't turn off acc. The worst part is that the quick fix for Tesla is simple - just turn off the forced auto-wiper until the problem is permanently solved. Maybe Tesla can prioritize this after the next arcade game or rainbow road v2 is launched.

Tesla - can you hear me? TURN IT OFF!

Attachments

• Tesla wiper madness.zip
    5 MB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
Just prior to the 2022 Holiday release my 2020 LRMY started auto wiping the windshield, at dusk and at night, at one specific point along my daily drive where there is a row of relatively low height LED street lights. This does not happen in daylight unless driving into the morning sun when the windshield is not fully clean.

It appears that the auto wiper function is being triggered by the strobing effect of some but not all of the LED street lights. Not every street light along the route will trigger the auto wiper. The auto wiper gets triggered two times, each time a single wipe. I have to remember to turn off the windshield wipers else the auto wiper will activate this way every time I make this drive when the street lights are on.

Upvote 0
I have gone through this forum to find the answer as I am about to come unglued, I cannot use autopilot at night the wipers will not stop going. It's a pain in the rear end!!!! and sure Tesla can do something!!! I never wanted to SEXY buttons, however, reading this it seems a small fix. This issue is just so bloody annoying!!! I don't know what to do next.....

Reactions: David2023Y
Upvote 0
I have gone through this forum to find the answer as I am about to come unglued, I cannot use autopilot at night the wipers will not stop going. It's a pain in the rear end!!!! and sure Tesla can do something!!! I never wanted to SEXY buttons, however, reading this it seems a small fix. This issue is just so bloody annoying!!! I don't know what to do next.....
I have been searching this forum to read up on this and found this thread. Picked up my MYLR a week ago but just took it out last night for the first time at night. Definitely phantom wiping with autosteer. I'm really kind of surprised there hasn't been any mention of a class action lawsuit against Tesla for this. Dragging the wipers across a dry dusty windshield is scratching the heck out of the glass. Over time, I'm sure an arc shaped haze of scratches will develop. I've even had a few phantom wipes during the daylight. I had just finished detailing my car the day before and when we took it out last night I had to run the washers and squirt that nasty blue stuff they put in at the factory which blows everywhere and makes such a mess, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't rubbing dust all over the windshield with the phantom wiping on a dry windshield. This strive for total automation is certainly not without it's pitfalls. Any lawyers in the group want to start a class action suit for this? It is without a doubt causing damage to these very expensive vehicles! No different than the morons who want to write "clean me" on your paint if the car is dusty. Wipers unnecessarily running dry over a dusty windshield will do considerable damage over time. It's almost like polishing them with sandpaper. Anybody installed a physical kill switch to shut the wipers off electrically? Do the S3XY buttons shut them down just for the current autosteer session? Meaning if auto steer is disengaged by braking or steering and re-activated do you have to hit the button each time you engage it?

Reactions: RobDeBank
Upvote 0