Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

auto wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! Quick question to see if anyone else has had this issue. 2016 X P90D. My car has had auto sensing wipers ever since the software came out a few years ago for it. I just recently went to have a cracked windshield replaced(YEAH!!!!) and also needed to replace the wiper blades. I noticed right away that the wiper blades were not sensing rain. I looked for the setting to turn that on thinking it may have shut off with service. HOWEVER, that choice is no longer available anywhere. Also on the 2nd setting(Auto sense setting) the wiper blades do not turn at all. Is there something I am missing or did Tesla change something when installing new blades and windshield? I have reached out to them without a response.
Thanks everyone!

Exact same thing happened to me. My auto sensing hasnt worked in over a year since my windshield was replaced.
Wish I had your problem - mine is the opposite Wipers start for no apparent reason in dry weather when using Cruise Control - and I can't turn them off. Conversely, they won't work when they should sometimes as well (once again using Cruise Control). However, I CAN turn them on in that case!

Dave 2023 Model Y LR/AWD

Wiper Issue Resolved???

A couple of weeks ago I complained about being unable to shut off the windshield wipers when in Cruise Control (and conversely, their failure to work on a few occasions when it would have been appropriate). It appears that a
recent software update has cured the problem! I have been watching it for about a week now, and it hasn't happened again. I think it was 2023.12.5 that did the trick.

Anybody else notice? Really good news if it is true.

Dave

I just got my windshield replaced by my Tesla service station last week and on my way home, once I hit the highway I noticed the camera was not detecting the speed correctly and the second I put TACC on, the wipers came on and also could not get them to stop. Still they are doing this a week later. The Tesla service people say this is a known circumstance. "Beta software. kthxby." This is also the excuse they used for my walk away lock no longer working - actually its worse, because it works intermittently. I am so very pissed. I drive long distances all the time, not having TACC or autopilot is not acceptable. What do we do?

Can a mobile tech come out and look at it? I have found the few times they have come out to me that they say alot different things than when it is in the service centers.
I have requested a mobile service tech visit for those wiper issue and some self driving issue like swerving several times when lane expanded to two lanes. However after several days of waiting for a clear response, was told if have to drive to nearest SC and pay for appt. I felt that was unfair for a brand new car picked up two weeks ago, so I'm still futzing along with wipers that turn on in dry weather and completely ignore rain so that I'm having to drive without being able to see the road untill I look down and fiddle around on screen to manually turn on wipers. Distracting and dangerous to say the least
However some helpful folks on the forum have given me some great ideas I'm going to try-voice commands and using left stalk to turn them on, which I'm still figuring out.

It's possible to configure the steering wheel's left scroll wheel to control the wipers. We did that in addition to using voice commands, because sometimes voice commands simply don't work - it says unrecognized, and we think that's in areas where cell service is particularly spotty which would prevent the car from sending the audio to the cloud for processing. We don't know that for sure, just a theory for why it behaves the way it does. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: ionsphere
It's possible to configure the steering wheel's left scroll wheel to control the wipers. We did that in addition to using voice commands, because sometimes voice commands simply don't work - it says unrecognized, and we think that's in areas where cell service is particularly spotty which would prevent the car from sending the audio to the cloud for processing. We don't know that for sure, just a theory for why it behaves the way it does. 🤷‍♂️
Please tell us HOW you did that, this wiper thing is making me crazy!

TIA - Richard