Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto wipes actually work in V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
now the wipers are WAY too aggressive. I was sitting at a light, moderate rain coming down, and wipers were on fast mode (with a weird pause at the bottom causing it to bounce a little, I'm sure not doing any favors to the mechanisms). It's amazing how hard this has been for them. Before, they were too insensitive, now they're entirely too sensitive.

Well, yesterday morning I thought they were too sensitive (which they were). But last night I had to drive a lot with more rain of varying heaviness and holy cow are these bad (not wiping nearly often enough). It's borderline dangerous. I had to manually adjust the wipers quite a lot, and unfortunately, I kept hitting the "wipers off" button by mistake, because of course there's no tactile feel to the screen and I'm trying to watch the road. Just horrible horrible horrible. How the hell did Tesla not put an actual rain sensor in there? Using cameras is clearly not a good option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Electroman
now the wipers are WAY too aggressive. I was sitting at a light, moderate rain coming down, and wipers were on fast mode (with a weird pause at the bottom causing it to bounce a little, I'm sure not doing any favors to the mechanisms). It's amazing how hard this has been for them. Before, they were too insensitive, now they're entirely too sensitive.

Had the same experience when I started up this afternoon. Very aggressive for about 30 seconds, then seemed to calm down. This with no real moisture. My guess is another minor update will be out soon.

Funny. I was sitting in my car playing with the interface after my upgrade, and my wipers suddenly started wiping intermittently. No rain or moisture on the windshield at all. Manually had to turn them off.

Me too. Wasn't even outside. Just sitting in my garage in the car looking through the new features and the wiper came on for no reason at all that I can tell. I've had to turn auto off since then.

Well, yesterday morning I thought they were too sensitive (which they were). But last night I had to drive a lot with more rain of varying heaviness and holy cow are these bad (not wiping nearly often enough). It's borderline dangerous. I had to manually adjust the wipers quite a lot, and unfortunately, I kept hitting the "wipers off" button by mistake, because of course there's no tactile feel to the screen and I'm trying to watch the road. Just horrible horrible horrible. How the hell did Tesla not put an actual rain sensor in there? Using cameras is clearly not a good option.

Just dug out this thread to read what others are experiencing. My wife is semi-livid about her driving experience last night in the rain in an unfamiliar urban setting. Very dangerous. Matches your experience 100%. Tesla needs to improve the sensitivity at night, and make the interface simpler for manual adjustments. Frankly they should make it verbally adjustable too. This is 2018. Speech recognition is a thing.

Reactions: JGard and joelliot
Yeah I've had mine come in the garage before also, forunately it's rare. Also sometimes they seem prone to getting into this feedback loop where the wipers will fling water drops past the camera, which makes the system think it's raining hard, so it moves the wipers even faster, and gets stuck in a loop.

Not making excuses but for those calling this dangerous, did you consider taking the wipers off auto and just using one of the always on setttings?

Yes, you should not have to do this but rather than relying on an auto setting or a manual push on the stalk, just turn them on.

For the record, I had a different car with auto sensing wipers and it sucked as well. I was constantly fiddling with the settings.

Tesla may or may not get this right eventually but putting yourself in “danger” because of an automated setting when a manual setting is available just seems silly.

Reactions: JES2
Not making excuses but for those calling this dangerous, did you consider taking the wipers off auto and just using one of the always on setttings?

Yes, you should not have to do this but rather than relying on an auto setting or a manual push on the stalk, just turn them on.

For the record, I had a different car with auto sensing wipers and it sucked as well. I was constantly fiddling with the settings.

Tesla may or may not get this right eventually but putting yourself in “danger” because of an automated setting when a manual setting is available just seems silly.

THAT is the dangerous part. If you have it on, say, setting 2, then it quickly becomes too heavy for that, having to take your eyes off the road and try to really focus on hitting setting 3 or 4 is downright dangerous. Especially at night, and especially because the "off" button is also RIGHT there.

I think they could make a double-press of the wiper button on the stalk advance to the next faster wiper speed. And maybe triple-press skips ahead two, etc. Worst case would be going from off to full taking 5 presses. (Or maybe double-press advances by one, and triple just always goes to max wiper speed.) Another possibility is having a press of the wiper button temporarily (5 seconds?) change the left scroll wheel to control wiper speed.