Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto X Prize

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
or other teams, there may be more to lose than gain in terms of credibility. ...

One company with even more on the line is Tesla Motors, which made a splash with its $100,000-plus electric sports cars. The company is pushing hard to achieve a mass-market presence with the introduction of a sedan next year. If it were to be bested by the likes of some garage tinkerers or a high school auto team, it wouldn’t go over well on the Silicon Valley and venture capital blogs.

Not so sure the funded E-motorcycles were hurt by the results of the Isle of man race.

When a garage team builds a specific-use machine that is designed to solely fit the parameters of particular event really is not a comparison to real cars that have gone through EPA, DOT crash testing, and have air conditioning, heaters and cup holders. I'd put JB and his team up against any to make a one-off for the X-Prize.

Last edited:
X-Prize at SEMA show

I went to SEMA to gain business-contacts, & spent TWO days around the X-Prize booth (Green Power area):

SEMA 2009

EV related videos:

SEMA 2009: Electric Vehicle (Alternative Energy)

Check out the interview with Kara Lawson/Amped Motors (electrified '33 Ford, from Factory Five Racing)

SEMA 2009: Kara Lawson, Amped Motors/EV [ SEMA '09/Fri ]

The FF5 kit-car called the GTM does 0 - 60 in 3 secs, it's a tubular chassis car that looks like a Ferrari. You buy the frame for ~$20K, get a hold of a wrecked Corvette (for the engine & suspension), then get a Porsche transaxle. They had 1 on display, the owner bought it for $50K from the original builder.

GTM Supercar on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

4070633232_3a186bb4b1.jpg

More pics at:

Collection: SEMA 2009

[ haven't uploaded my Canon 5D II 22 Mpixel shots, still in Vegas..recovering ]

I have done several articles on our local Progressive Automotive X PRIZE team. I've always linked to these within my Tesla articles. Illuminati Motor Works is actively looking for sponsors and support. This is a team of people who built a garage just for this project. Who would have guessed there was a team hiding out in the middle of Illinois surrounded by corn fields.

The vehicle is all electric.

Illuminati Motor Works electric car Seven takes it’s first test run

Automotive X PRIZE competitor Illuminati Motor Works Q & A

Illuminati Motor Works another Illinois Times interview

APRIL 26 – MAY 7, 2010: SHAKEDOWN STAGE (COMPETITION EVENT)

APRIL 29, 2010 COMPETITION OPENER & WELCOME (PUBLIC EVENT)

Last edited:
I met the Illuminati team and their car and it is VERY impressive. They can roll down the highway at 60 mph at about 120W/mile about half the power used in the Roadster. They can also do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and carry 4 people and their luggage. I was VERY impressed with what the team was able to accomplish. If it were not for a broken transmission they would have likely won the contest.