Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Zurich Carshow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are my impressions of the Auto Zurich, Switzerland, which is taking place from 5/11 to 10/11/09 at messe Zurich.

The first interesting point was Fisker Karma. It is entering production next spring, with the first cars being delivered in about July 2010. Then I catched an view of the smart ed. One year ago they offered me to lease the smart ed for one year - never heard about it anymore. I talked with one of Lotus. There seems to be no electric version of the Lotus in pipeline, when I mentioned the Tesla Roadster he answered me in an angry tone? Anyway heres one pic of the exposition.

Then I finally found the corner of "e-mobile" with the motorcycle Zero X and Zero S, I was able to make a test drive: What an acceleration! It's like being pushed from behind from an arm of steel! There were different cars from small swiss start ups, with a converted Fiat cinquecento, another small electric car and an electric truck, some with a Zebra battery. Those cars are rather expensive with a price of about 51000 SFr (USD 45-50k). Then I finally discovered the model S, behind of the small swiss cars in a corner. A beautyful car - from outside you can't see how much space there is on the inside, according to your reports on TMC. No Tesla staff on the inside to talk with.

Last but not least I made a test drive with the "Sam". It's a 3-Wheeler with a maximum speed of 100 kmh, about 100 km range. It has entered production today, and is available for SFr. 24k (USD 22k). Driving with this lightwight vehicle is special, but not much comfort feeling. Still this 3-wheeler gives a feeling of security considerably better than a motorcycle, the acceleration is sufficient, but naturally not exciting. When I was about to leave the exposition I finally found the two Tesla Roadsters behind the entrance, ready for test-drives, no more time to talk with Jochen Rudat.

In an overview, I would say, there was still little presence of electric cars. The mitsubishi I-Miev should be available for summer 2010. They hope to sell it for under SFr 30k. I can't see still no chance for the small swiss manufacturers. Regading the fact, that we are probably past "peak oil", with diminuishing fuel supply and ever rising fuel prices, I really can't understand, why the big manufacturers don't continue to present their electric vehicles. According to dpeilow there was more EV-presence in Frankfurt.

Attachments

• IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    969 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 113
Last but not least I made a test drive with the "Sam". It's a 3-Wheeler with a maximum speed of 100 kmh, about 100 km range. It has entered production today, and is available for SFr. 24k (USD 22k). Driving with this lightwight vehicle is special, but not much comfort feeling. Still this 3-wheeler gives a feeling of security considerably better than a motorcycle, the acceleration is sufficient, but naturally not exciting.

Thanks for the feedback about your test drive in the SAM. May I ask who was presenting it? It has just gone on sale in Poland as the Re-Volt but the SAM Group website still hasn't gone live yet. I like this thing though I think it should give a bit better performance and have a slightly larger battery.

I would agree, the performance could be better, although I guess they didn't probably put much importance on that, because a higher performance also needs careful driving with a 3-wheeler. Anyway you are driving with this vehicle like there would be snow on the street - moderate speed to enter a curve.

The design of this vehicle is nice: Nice, efficient shape with low probably low drag coefficient. I didn't like the material. Similar to the Th!nk car, they use some special compound, with a raw surface, which makes it look cheap, not so elegant, in my eyes.

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the person anymore. Interestingly as I'm reading now, the Sam has its history, as it was created by the swatch engineers, in an effort to replace the failed concept of the original smart car with electric drive design. In many ways, we should be proud, switzerland is or could be the european silicon valley.
E-Mobil: Aus Swatch wird Sam - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten - Auto

BTW, here the link to the Zebra Battery based vehicles, which were presented at the Auto Zurich.
Kamoo AG Electrocars