Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoAlly for Android and Android Wear, Tesla and BMW i Remote App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been seeing a good amount of complaints from Android users about the state of the current Tesla App for Android. So I decided to build an alternate solution! As a new-ish BMW i8 owner, I was originally building a better solution for myself since the BWM official app is also…. Subpar. I figured there was a good opportunity to add support for multiple vehicles from the get go, so here we are!

AutoAlly has all the functionality you’d expect…. Information such as charging status, capacity, range, location, door status, etc etc. But I also took some features a few steps forward. For example, the included mapping shows overlays for your estimated ranges, ranges based on time, charging locations, parking locations, and of course the vehicle's location. The ‘Find Vehicle’ features uses a mix of augmented reality, mapping, and geofences to guide you. The geofences also optionally allow for commands to be sent once within range of the vehicle. Such as start climate control as you approach the vehicle.

AutoAlly also has an Android Wear component. I’ve seen demo videos of others building apps awhile ago but as far as I know nothing was ever released. AutoAlly on Android wear has charge and range information, vehicle location via map, and quick commands. There is also an included watchface that shows your charge levels and range.

In terms of the Tesla side, some missing possibly desired functionality is live streaming information. I’m currently working on some different ideas and integrations to find the best solution here.

There are other long term features in the works, such as setting up charging schedules for Tesla (BMW offers this already, which I found odd for Tesla to not), navigation routing based on charging locations and range maps, Summon for Tesla vehicles, and charging based on cheapest power rates for the given location. Ideally, support for other vehicle brands will be introduced over time, allowing for the app to be the only one you need (assuming you ever buy a different brand of vehicle!).

AutoAlly will be available on the Google Play store for $6.99 for initial launch week (7/15 - 7/21) and will increase to $9.99 thereafter. AutoAlly supports Android 4.0.3+ for phones and tablets, and Android 5.0+ for Wear devices.

Play Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cartoaware.connectedcar

Extra note: Some people have concerns about 3rd party apps, and as a note here.... AutoAlly does not communicate your information with any other servers of any kind. All communication is done between your device and Tesla's API.

There have been a few bugs discovered, and v1.0.7 should fix them for you! Please let me know otherwise. We are keeping an eye on the crash reports as well throughout the night.

Latest version doesn't crash anymore at login. But it doesn't do anything either - when I enter credentials, the circle appears for 3 seconds, and then nothing.

Did I buy an app here to be alpha tester? Sorry for being a bit harsh, but if not even the login works, then I am curious as to what kind of testing has been done prior to releasing the app...

Latest version doesn't crash anymore at login. But it doesn't do anything either - when I enter credentials, the circle appears for 3 seconds, and then nothing.

Did I buy an app here to be alpha tester? Sorry for being a bit harsh, but if not even the login works, then I am curious as to what kind of testing has been done prior to releasing the app...

The app was tested by 2 different people on the BMW side (one i8, one i3), and 2 on the Tesla side (P90D, X). Unfortunately, there will always been uncaught quirks on initial launch. Especially working against such a diverse set of data.

With that said, looking at your signature, you have 2 Tesla's tied to your account. Once you authenticate, a dialog should pop up asking you to pick the car you wish to view.

I only have 1 active car (would be cool to have the Model 3 live on it already of course... :) ), and no, there is no dialog popping up. The circle spins for a couple of seconds, then I'm back at the screen to enter credentials. No message of any sort...