Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autobahn CC Joliet IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Scelto

Loving my deeply flawed M3LR...
Aug 26, 2021
Chicagoland
Search found me a few threads, but nothing concrete on the question I have. I found the detailed "track setup" thread, but plan to run completely stock as it's my first time ever near a track, so...

Has anyone here done a "Sprint" or "Performance Drive" day at the Autobahn Country Club in Joliet (Autobahn Event Calendar - Autobahn Country Club

I live in the Western suburbs of Chicago and am really tempted to take my M3LR+ to one of their learning events.

I spoke with them via email and they don't have on-site charging beyond 110v, so there's no real opportunity to top off during the day. Looking at Plugshare and Chargepoint maps I couldn't even see any obviously reliable level 2 chargers close enough to pop over during lunch or something either, so I guess I am stuck with whatever I arrive with.

Charging at Bolingbrook SC I reckon I can start the day with 85-88% charge and would want to leave with about 20% to have no stress about making it back to Bolingbrook, or perhaps even home.

So if you've done this - or something comparable - I have some questions for you :)

• Did you find that the power drop-off (power vs SoC) was noticeable as SoC reduced over the day? Did it affect your "fun factor"?
  • How much power (% of battery / KWh) did you actually use on the track time? I'd hate to have to drop off early due to charge.
  • What did you do for track day insurance? The one and only quote I've had so far was over $700 - about twice the cost of the track day ticket.
Thanks for any help!

On a 2 mile course I have found that beginners *might* be able to do 4-5 20-30 minute sessions but are better off supercharging over lunch (after the first two 20 minute sessions. An advanced driver can use approximately double the battery of a beginning driver per mile. E.g. 40 minutes of beginner driving will leave 60-70 percent of the battery remaining the first morning whereas an advanced driver will be down to 30 percent.

I haven't tried Autobahn in a Tesla (but have driven gas cars there.) Assuming you're doing the full 3.56 mile course LOTS of battery would be consumed. Until there is a supercharger in Joliet I'd recommend skipping events there (or be willing to accept a 1/2 day of driving and be happy if you get more.)

Also be aware that as a beginner the M3LR+ *might* have enough brakes (pads) but will certainly not once you get further down the learning path.

• Love
Reactions: Scelto