TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autocar interview with Elon Musk

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dpeilow, Jan 27, 2010.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Q+A Tesla CEO Elon Musk - Autocar.co.uk

2. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

3. action7981

action7981 Member

I thought the standard/basic Model S was shooting for a 160 mile range? Is this a mis-statement by Elon or an unintentional disclosure that they are going with a larger battery pack for the standard version?

4. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I agree with you action7981. Another thing, I would like more information on are his proposed interior changes. Overall, the interview shed a little more light on the Tesla vision.

5. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

Is it safe to assume that the original timeline for the Model S production to begin (late 2011) is still on target? With all of the various press reports Elon did as part of the NAIAS, I didn't see anyone ask this question directly, which is really my #1 question for Tesla. Given the delays that occurred with the Roadster, and the higher degree of difficulty associated with building the Model S from scratch, I'd be curious to hear whether Elon thinks they're likely to meet their own deadline for rolling out the Model S, and if not, what the new projected time frame is.

I realize there are many more hoops they have to jump through (selection of a site for the factory, building it out, finalizing design of the production model etc.) before they'll know for certain that they can get them rolling off the assembly line by late 2011, but I consider it a good sign that they haven't come out and definitively said it won't be ready by then. Am I being overly optimistic?

6. GSP

GSP Member

Probably. :wink:

GSP

7. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

I noticed at the bottom of the Q+A article another one that was posted yesterday and it says:
    Tesla plans electric 3-series - Autocar.co.uk

Well the article's main focus is a supposed Tesla-powered 3-series sedan I was more interested in this:
    Maybe I'm a bit confused but the Model S was officially unveiled back in March of 2009, which was almost a year ago. That doesn't seem very "recent" to me.

Is this an un-official notice of a delay on the Model S? Or is the "mid-2012" mentioned for the U.K. launch of the Model S and not the U.S., which may still be on target for a late-2011/early-2012 launch.