Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the new M3P is looking like it will have a bit more power (maybe only above 45 MPH) and likely some sort of upgraded shock technology, possibly adaptive. May also have wider rear tires.

Any guesses on how long it will take the SEB to put this back in SS? I bet it's before one even runs at an event.

Thankfully for those of us with EV-X builds of the pre-highland, it's not likely to just be dominant in EV-X once you are running huge tires and coilovers.

Power isn't the issue of the M3P in AutoX terms. Without some help, its almost an issue of mo-power-mo-problems.

IMO, a big issue/limitation is the power cut with steering angle Tesla has in the programming to tolerate the lack of rear LSD. I kind of want to find a way to intercept the steering angle sensor to modify it and prevent that steering angle power reduction to modulate myself with a calibrated foot.

But for a street car to have more power over 45, that would be much more fun.

First event on the RE71RS's yesterday. Holy *sugar*, this car has never felt this good, way more predictable than the RT660's. Was back in the fight for FTD for the first time in over a year, ran a 27.256 but whacked a cone. It wouldn't have mattered anyway as Jay went out and laid down a flyer on his last run, fresh A7's on a GT3 will do that.

Discovered that Tesla changed the way track mode telemetry is recorded so none of the data I recorded yesterday is usable for my normal video overlays :(. Going to have to adjust my workflow next event to get usable data.

438099961_10229288401887349_4903088526889957977_n.jpg

434841608_10229289949206031_5262306207629619103_n.jpg

Last edited:
What's the difference?
In the past I would drop the start/finish line pin out around where the finish was, hit start, do my run and hit stop. Most of the run would be recorded as lap 0 and it may flip to lap 1 before my run was over depending on where the pin was, but it didn't matter as I didn't care about the lap.

Here is what an old log looks like when it flips to lap 1.

1713272914223.png

Here's what a log looks like now.... Do you see the problem?
1713273049595.png

Elapsed time doesn't start recording now until a lap actually starts. And the sample rate isn't consistent enough that I can just make it up to save the data from this past weekend.

Lesson learned for next time.

So, an AS Model3 did pretty well at the Texas tour. Thoughts?
Not to knock anyone, but that driver has run multiple other national tours and has never placed well when there is strong competition.

In 2023 in Vegas they ran 1s slower than AS and 3.5 seconds off at Lincoln. In Vegas the top AS car was an Elise, so that was not even a max competitive AS car.

Texas just isn't a competitive tour- they didn't even have a single SS car! The one EV-X car ran 4 seconds faster than the AS M3P, while at competitive national tours, EV-X tends to run just about 0.5 seconds faster than competitive AS cars, so I have to believe a good AS driver in a Cayman or Z06 would have completely dominated AS.

In the past I would drop the start/finish line pin out around where the finish was, hit start, do my run and hit stop. Most of the run would be recorded as lap 0 and it may flip to lap 1 before my run was over depending on where the pin was, but it didn't matter as I didn't care about the lap.

Here is what an old log looks like when it flips to lap 1.

View attachment 1038950

Here's what a log looks like now.... Do you see the problem?
View attachment 1038952

Elapsed time doesn't start recording now until a lap actually starts. And the sample rate isn't consistent enough that I can just make it up to save the data from this past weekend.

Lesson learned for next time.
Also, if your car is Intel Atom based, you're going to find at some point it will disengage from Track Mode unexpectedly during a run.
When this happens, could you please report it as a service request in the app including a timestamp when it happened.
The more bug reports the greater the chance it'll get fixed.
My thread about this bug is here: Multiple M3Ps dropping out of Track Mode for no reason