Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also found the regen was no good in the wet. Asking the front to turn was hard enough, adding motor braking helped nothing. I'll try it again in the dry, but I'm guessing its going to be in the 50% range for me just to get the front to turn in.
I've had others complain about the regen in the same way as you- but I just don't notice it, even in the sopping wet. I think I've driven an EV enough that I just keep my foot on the throttle a bit if I don't want any decel. In the same way you feather the throttle to not get too much acceleration, you don't just let off it completely for a corner. I actually like it in some slaloms where I want to slow down between. One interesting note is that it appears regen (at least not in track mode) is only on the rear axle...

But it's nice that Tesla gives you the option- and in an AutoX, it's not like you'll gain any range from Regen.... Maybe I will try it turned off. Maybe I'm just so ham fisted as a driver that I could drive with an ON/OFF switch ;)

Reactions: Lindenwood
I've had others complain about the regen in the same way as you- but I just don't notice it, even in the sopping wet. I think I've driven an EV enough that I just keep my foot on the throttle a bit if I don't want any decel. In the same way you feather the throttle to not get too much acceleration, you don't just let off it completely for a corner. I actually like it in some slaloms where I want to slow down between. One interesting note is that it appears regen (at least not in track mode) is only on the rear axle...

But it's nice that Tesla gives you the option- and in an AutoX, it's not like you'll gain any range from Regen.... Maybe I will try it turned off. Maybe I'm just so ham fisted as a driver that I could drive with an ON/OFF switch ;)

Oh dang, I was literally thinking about this yesterday that it would be really nice to change regen on the front but keep the rear. I only did one 100% run with regen and one 50% run and it really felt like like the front was dragging but it could have just been the terrible conditions. Not only was it substantially wet it was also a dusty and oily surface from months of no rain and being a staging area for drag racing.

You've talked me off the cliff, I'll go back and do more regen testing ;). Need to pick up the stuff to log all the tesla data during a run and see what its doing. It is super strange driving with no regen though between grid and starting line. You lift off expecting to slow but just keep coasting. Totally strange feel when you're use to it.

I can't find anyone that has datalogged in Track mode, so who knows how it distributes regen. It would be really cool if Tesla gave us that option- a bunch of us should email and ask. Shame the car's datalog doesn't give us this per-axle power data (positive or regen).

Anyone tried Kuhmo V730 tires yet? I think I'm going to give them a shot. The 275/35r18 are only $195 on Tire Rack right now.

Looks like the Falkens got a price bump too which make it seem like an even better deal.
I haven't tried those but for that price I would. I just purchased the falken RT660 275/35-18s for $278. I'm hoping they last longer than the yoko A052s, which lasted 6 events.

Love that new tire smell!

20211021_083007.jpg

Anyone tried Kuhmo V730 tires yet? I think I'm going to give them a shot. The 275/35r18 are only $195 on Tire Rack right now.

Looks like the Falkens got a price bump too which make it seem like an even better deal.
I saw that - such a nice price. Definitely let us know if you get them how they are - I have seen lighter cars on these performing very well (competitive with Falken/Yoke).

Hopefully they release a 285 or 295!

Such a wealth of information in this thread. I've autocrossed a few of my vehicles in my past, but I've always considered myself a newbie overall lol.

Out of curiosity, is anyone doing A/X with the stock 20x9? I know tire options are rather limited at this size, but I noticed that Tire Rack carries the Yokohoma Advan A052 in 245/35/20. They're not quite as wide (spec-wise) as the 245/35/20 Pilot Sport Cup 2s found on the Zero-G wheels, but I assume these should fit with no problem.

I picked recently picked up another set of wheels for winter, so figured I may as well turn my Uberturbines into AX wheels. Been looking for some aftermarket 19x9s around a similar offset, but options seem to be rather limited (or expensive lol.)

Yeah, we run all winter since it's slightly not as hot as the surface of the sun.

They are wide! Can't wait to drive them in anger. I have clinched top spot in our region and Florida state championship is a couple weeks out.
Oof... I'm supposed to get my SR+ between the 3rd and the 11th...... I REALLY wanted to show up at the FIRM in my new Tesla but I'm afraid it might not happen!

So I autocrossed this thing with the local Corvette Club (North Florida Corvette Association) and had a freaking blast. The fastest time I saw was a Vette on HoHo's with a 37.000. My wife and I ran a 39.4 and 39.6 (she was faster) and we're definitely still learning the car. I can't wait to get some real tires installed :)

So I guess next year I'll be running in SS, since it's got a better PAX than EV and I don't plan on any major mods for a year.

Also, I'm sure yall are used to seeing this chart but I still think it's funny!
20211205_154803.jpg

I'm new to the Tesla Model 3 performance, but I believe I saw a thread where someone was sharing their auto-x mods. I'm going to auto-x this summer without any mods until I really get to know the car. My biggest concern is the responsiveness of the suspension, how much body roll, how quickly it can transition, and the quality of the brake pads for auto-x events. This is the first car I'll auto-x that is overpowered, but it is also AWD. Power oversteer won't be an option, but I'm assuming the go-fast pedal can be used for strategic positioning. The experimentation will be fun.
Don't think of body roll as a thing to fix. Think about going faster. Sway bars greatly reduce body roll, for instance, but may not make you any faster at all. While sticky tires make you a lot faster, and increase body roll! Or negative camber makes you a lot faster, with no impact on body roll.

Brake pads are never an issue, runs are short enough they don't overheat.

anyone have input on V2 settings?

My M3P is still stock, and I tried 15/85 front rear split, traction control on minimum, and experimented with 50% and 75% regen. I was really concerned about regen being weird to deal with but I didn't notice it, or notice any different between 50 and 75%. With 85% rear power bias the car would still tend to straight out when I floored it if I was starting to get too sideways.