Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that a good thing? You can spin the car quite easily on -10. In what situations is the VSC stepping in when you're in control of the car and it would be doing what you want if VSC didn't intervene?

Is it "reduced" or is it "off"? Is it TC off or VSC off?

I notice that it's in Beta for AWD and "the traction control strategy is still in development."? It also doesn't mention reduced VSC, just disabled.

Can you even run track mode at the same time as the Party Box?
Yes, it is good. I don't AX much, but where it matters most on a road course is putting power down out of the corners. The stock VSC cuts power when there is too much steering input, which is annoying. With the PartyBox power is there and it is up to driver to unwind properly with appropriate throttle. Whether VSC is drastically reduced or fully off I'm not sure, but it is goodness. The latest version of the PartyBox does work flawlessly and is engaged not by selecting slip start (which the old version did), but by enabling Track Mode. So, if you have the PB connected and go into Track Mode, the PB is live.

• Informative
Reactions: gearchruncher
Had a great time this weekend at the level 1 autox school out here in DC. Over the course of the day, I think we did close to 20 runs or so. This was my first time autocrossing my M3P, as well as the RT660s. In the morning, we ran 10 back to back runs, and I started to have a bit of traction issues. I wasnt adjusting the PSI (the dash was reporting 52 PSI at around run 8 or so lol.) It was a novice event so I just went with it instead of adjusting things after each run. Out of curiosity, what PSI are folks running? I had my fastest runs for the day around 44PSI, but I started at 42 cold.

Also, are folks swapping out their stock brake fluid or pads on their M3P? There was a two spots in the course where I needed to kinda mash on the brake. I dont think I experienced any issues during the 10 or so back to back runs, but open to suggestions.

Looking forward to attending more events this year. I will unfortunately miss the National Tour event happening in early April 😭

• Love
Reactions: Lindenwood
I wasnt adjusting the PSI (the dash was reporting 52 PSI at around run 8 or so lol.) It was a novice event so I just went with it instead of adjusting things after each run. Out of curiosity, what PSI are folks running? I had my fastest runs for the day around 44PSI, but I started at 42 cold.

Also, are folks swapping out their stock brake fluid or pads on their M3P? There was a two spots in the course where I needed to kinda mash on the brake. I dont think I experienced any issues during the 10 or so back to back runs, but open to suggestions.
Tire pressure is highly tire dependent. I run 33 PSI on RE-71's, 37 PSI on A052's, and as high as 50 PSI on the stock pilot sports. Generically, the high grip tires like a bit lower pressures and you're likely giving up a lot at 50+ PSI. I'd start more like 35 PSI. This also depends if you have front camber arms (which are the first thing you should get for a Model 3, even in front of tires assuming you aren't trying to stay in SS)

You really don't need to swap pads for AutoX- the stock ones are pretty good. If you get really good and run back to back to back runs, you might experience fluid fade, and you should be swapping fluid every 2 years or sooner anyway, but you don't need some crazy fluid, just fresh fluid. The reality is AutoX is not that hard on brakes- stock brake systems are meant to drag the car from 100 MPH to zero at least once and you're not usually doing anything like that in AutoX.

Your brakes are nowhere near their limit until your rotors are blue after a run FYI. The brakes on a M3P are pretty good for a stock car.

Some new parts for 2 local EV-X cars. Added MPP compression rod inserts and solid front lower control arm bushings. Also swapped stock brake fluid out for Motul 600. Some nastiness came out of my drivers rear caliper.

Had a buddy/fellow competitor over with his matte blue LR AWD for some new MPP parts as well. Always the best weekends, was looking like a Model 3 junkyard at times.

Off for alignment next Monday. New season starts 4/10

42A40E70-BBBB-4559-A9B9-EBD125F14CBF.jpeg
9687C933-66E5-418A-8AAA-032E3F4C2FFF.jpeg
2F7DECCC-90FD-49ED-954B-01301D9E7AF5.jpeg
B37D6AB6-AF73-4407-9FB2-7B94D3FFA775.jpeg
D85138B8-5456-4A1B-8956-06987243B098.jpeg
A9FD5C04-1D9C-4613-8793-F9296E5E645A.jpeg
E62740ED-4A04-40F8-A495-22435E4F9CCF.jpeg

0B849D37-7555-4F92-976F-5D8D9B380341.jpeg
63DBD673-9E1F-47ED-A437-D44E5D601546.jpeg

A0A584FA-2564-4CA8-8DBC-7AD004AF966B.jpeg

I need MPP decals :(
Hey @SK360 did you absolutely have to remove the arms to install the compression rod inserts?
I stole my wife’s Cricut since I wanted a custom size 😂.

14F5C885-64D4-4BFC-AA85-3A17E60A59D7.jpeg

I tried without removing the arm and let me tell you popping the balljoint and just pulling the arm out is 100x easier and faster. I spent 90 minutes on the first side and 10 on the second.

Car got aligned on Monday. I figured scheduling an alignment for 3/28 was pretty safe, roads were clean until the day before when we got a bunch of snow and then we had snow showers off and on all day Monday. Was a fun drive 90 miles round trip on Pilot Sport 4S’s. Got my RT660’s mounted while I was there as well.

First time seeing snow/salt, basically totaled at this point, washed it the first chance I had…

With no shims in the Gen1 MPP FUCA's camber ended up -2.4 drivers front, -2.7 passenger front and rear was -1.7 both sides (stock arms in rear). We set toe to 0 all around.

Ready for the season to start 4/10

E2ADD069-FADE-460C-A6A9-02DC92CD441A.jpeg
D3689D0F-B015-4A48-A1AF-952212B08664.jpeg
C90A73AE-C614-4E79-B5B5-497BFA374133.jpeg
C2F144AE-6289-4234-89FB-070238546887.jpeg
FD4C5A39-8E26-4FF7-A68D-181FEC6CE5A9.jpeg
10B970C5-4741-4E2B-9349-11E2276E38A3.jpeg

Anyone planning to attend the SCCA National Tour event in DC next week? My schedule opened up so I think I'm going to sign up under EVX. Look like I might be the only one though 😄.

At Summit Point?

I haven't been to Summit Point in years. Used to go there to watch motorcycle racing. I see spectator cost is $10. What's the parking situation like? Crowded? Pretty open?

Can you recommend one or two good spectator points? Or once parked one can roam around to different spectator points?

Weather is saying mid-50's, partly sunny for this weekend. Thinking about checking it out.

Reactions: randmness
At Summit Point?

I haven't been to Summit Point in years. Used to go there to watch motorcycle racing. I see spectator cost is $10. What's the parking situation like? Crowded? Pretty open?

Can you recommend one or two good spectator points? Or once parked one can roam around to different spectator points?

Weather is saying mid-50's, partly sunny for this weekend. Thinking about checking it out.

The event happening the weekend of April 8 is over in Landover, MD. This is my first National Tour event but it runs Fri-Sunday I think. I believe last year, most events were at Summit Point, but I think theyre back at FedEx Field for most of the year (with an event or two at Ripken Stadium and Summit if I recall correctly.) I think the regular WDCR autocross events are free to attend (have to sign a waiver I believe.) Usually, there's a decent amount of people spectating, so I cant see why there would be an issue. If you bring a helmet, you could ask to ride with someone too.

Reactions: DeltaOne