Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
784FDBB5-76B9-4042-8634-EA438F72B4A1.jpeg

275/35R19 Federal 595RS-Pros!
19x9.5+22 delivered today.

Next AutoX is 14 Aug!

Tread splice is becoming more prevalent. I called Tire Rack, and they said falken said it is "normal". I pushed and they want pics. I will let you know what happens...
It's been two weeks since my claim with tirerack. Barely any news since, but they did ask for my VIN. I bet everything that Hankook/Tirerack are gonna try to weasel out of warrantying these.

My plan is to make sure all four of my tires are showing this -- doing some random Corvette club autox that allows hotlapping this weekend -- and then push for tirerack to take all four back.

But there isn't much else out there in-stock to replace these with. RE-71RS? Anybody hear of any recent first-hand reports? Are actually somewhat competitive?
I saw in the results people using Nankangs on the national tour, but I'm not sure if that was out of desperation.

275/35R19 Federal 595RS-Pros!
19x9.5+22 delivered today.

Next AutoX is 14 Aug!
That's an aggressive offset. Since you're likely the first person to try it with a moderately-wide tire with MPP Comforts, I'd maybe email MPP to make sure that MPP Comforts have about the same bump travel as the MPP Sports. Cause if they have more bump (meaning the tire goes deeper up into the wheel well), you may run into tire clearance issues when trying to turn under full compression.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
That's an aggressive offset. Since you're likely the first person to try it with a moderately-wide tire with MPP Comforts, I'd maybe email MPP to make sure that MPP Comforts have about the same bump travel as the MPP Sports. Cause if they have more bump (meaning the tire goes deeper up into the wheel well), you may run into tire clearance issues when trying to turn under full compression.
Interesting! I haven’t had issues with my current 255/35R20 on an effective +18 offset at ~1.2-2 degrees of camber, and I do only plan to run these with 3+ degrees of camber, but I’ll be sure to carefully test fitment!

They have the same bump travel!

So far so good (after 5-mile test drive around my rough-road town)!

77A82EE1-9590-4330-8729-E85B192795EE.jpeg
8E635CBE-382C-4B64-8018-8A0581D288CF.jpeg

275/35R19 on 19x9.5+22

~2 degrees camber F/R. I will be racing on ~3.1F (max) and ~2.5R.

Last edited:
Did a test-n-tune-like event today and tried running with regen off after several runs with it at 100%. Instantly went half a second faster for the next few runs. Did turn it back on and went slower. I guess it means I'm better at left-foot pressure modulation without regen interfering.

• Informative
Did a test-n-tune-like event today and tried running with regen off after several runs with it at 100%. Instantly went half a second faster for the next few runs. Did turn it back on and went slower. I guess it means I'm better at left-foot pressure modulation without regen interfering.
Interesting! You use left-foot braking during autocross?

Did you have a way to assess impact to battery temp or battery usage?

I left foot brake regardless of regen at autox, and occasionally on the street, so I don't forget how to.
I think it was ~3%/run instead of 2%/run.
Not sure about temps. I should be logging stuff, but since changing phones I've been to lazy accessing my scanmytesla adapter to pair with the new phone.

If anything, the weird occasional power cuts I was getting on some runs (w/o errors) went away on no-regen runs.

• Informative
I have trouble with no regen in autocross and I left fort brake everywhere, you can’t float and use regen to modulate speed through stuff like slaloms or slight decreasing corners
What's the conceptual difference with lightly brushing the brake pedal?
I definitely still have the muscle memory for smoothly managing weight under normal trail braking, but I do struggle doing it consistently with the regen 100% on.
Maybe I'll try to gradually dial it up over several events.
Now that I think about it, I guess one should start adding throttle way sooner compared to no-regen trail braking.

in areas you don’t need to be at full throttle, with no regen you can’t use throttle modulation. Sure you can tap the brake, and need to but I don’t like it as much, I don’t think I’m faster like that but I haven’t practiced it enough & when I was it was with no ABS or stability either/ not by choice and mid auto x run

Tesla autocross world (ok, regional) domination continues. Saturday and Sunday were back to back events on the go-kart track in the infield of the Daytona raceway. Not a parking lot of cones but more of a mini track sprint. I love the format because I can just concentrate on driving instead of looking and hoping to make the next set of cones. They run the course backwards one of the days. I ended up 1st raw Saturday and 2nd raw Sunday (damn GT3). I don't count the open wheeled karts unless I beat them...lol

Running 275 falken RT660s on 18 inch konig wheels. MPP suspension goodies.

DSC_5643.jpg

DSC_5644.jpg

Screenshot_20220809-101055_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220809-101136_Chrome.jpg

20220806_094511.jpg

Last edited: