Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone with a set of almost new RT660s, this thread has become very concerning o_O
I am in the same boat. Mine are a month old and have ~300 miles and 3 Solo events on them and all 4 of them are doing it too. Mine are not that bad compared to the above pic, but the delamination issue is a real thing and it is not too confidence inspiring... I will most likely not replace them with the same tire.

this is after the first event:
20220723_100441.jpg

20220723_103005.jpg

I reached out to Tire Rack, who sent me an email from falken saying it "normal, it will go away...". That may the case, but if my tires do get worse, i will not continue to use them. #falkenletusdown

Last edited:
Team,

Me and my M3P are signed up for a 2-day performance driving course on 9-10 Oct! There Is a Supercharger about 20 minutes away from the track and they confirmed available 240v outlets.

Current mods:
-MPP Comfort Adjustables
-MPP FUCAs
-MPP Rear Camber and Toe arms
-MPP Master Cylinder Brace
-MPP Compression Rod Bushings

Last Successful AutoX Alignment:
-F: ~3.1 Camber, 0mm Toe
-R: ~2.1 Camber, 1.5mm toe out
-Placed 6/15 PAX, 4/15 RAW, on all-seasons.

Stuff sitting in my garage:
-MPP SS Brake Lines / RBF600 fluid
-6-Piston Brembo front BBK (370mm)
-UP Rear Anti-Sway bar
—(To bring handling balance a hair forward and help offset the softer Comfort coils. It might be a bit heavier than I need so I expect I’ll want to experiment with zero rear toe or even adding some rear toe-in, plus a more neutral or even forward Track Mode bias).

Stuff in the mail:
-19x9.5+22 wheels
-275/35R19 Federal 595RS-Pros

Planned starting alignment:
-F: ~3.1 Camber, 0mm Toe
-R: ~2.5 Camber, 0mm Toe
-Rear UP Anti-sway bar on its softest setting.

Any other setup tips? I have been eyeballing the MPP rear motor cooler given how many times I have seen my rear motor displayed in orange during just AutoX or even driving around on a hot day. Do I not need to worry about that for now?

Thanks!

@MountainPass @MasterC17 @tm1v2 @Sam1@gearchruncher @dsgerbc @Motion122 @SK360 @dfwatt @TacoSteve

I have been toying around with damper and rear UP bar settings. I am still refining before I report specific damper settings, but for daily street use I have been seeing positive results with rebound substantially stiffer than compression (~6-10 clicks stiffer), with the UP anti-sway bar on the full stiff setting. I have also gone to 0mm rear toe from ~1mm rear toe-out (0mm front)

My anecdotal performance benefit comes from the 270-degree, decreasing-radius off-ramp in my commute that has some decent bumps and undulations on the back end. On H&R coils and “Ultra High Performance” all-seasons, I could exit the corner at around 53mph before it got uncomfortable (perhaps pushing at 80-85%). With the MPP Comfort Adjustables at the same ride height and baseline (~9/9) settings, that speed went up to about 55-56mph at the same comfort level. Cranking down the compression toward the softer end while leaving rebound toward the stiffer end has improved compliance during that rough section, while the rear UP bar on its stiffest setting seems to help compensate for some body roll. This morning I exited at 57mph with still noticeably more stability—and definitely more traction available—than before at lower speeds. I suspect I could do 58-59 with the same relative security as before.

PLUS, the softer compression impressively smooths out my local rough roads. I thought I was content with the H&Rs, but I am SO glad I splurged for these Coilovers.

Note: this is with 2 degrees camber F/R, and 0mm toe all around.

I am going to run my next AutoX this weekend with I expect close to full-stiff rebound and a few clicks softer on compression. I recently took a sporty road trip on my 200tw 595RS-Pros (275/35R19) and on hard turns over uneven surfaces felt a tendency for the suspension to “bind and release” which I felt was representative of not enough rebound damping. (That led to the recent suspension experimentation).

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2

Fastest raw time of the day by over 1s (ahead of a turbo Miata), but 2nd in PAX behind a Ford Fiesta ST.

7B83BE45-7100-4565-8A80-E571DCB39930.jpeg
C4342941-0D61-42D6-A150-142037C2818B.jpeg
0BFD02B3-D079-4A02-BEDF-CAFCE6281FAC.jpeg
E9DD71D3-9432-4041-80DA-EE1DA65DFEC9.jpeg

I am very happy that the UP rear bar at full stiff provides a noticeable reduction in body roll but doesn’t change overall handling balance so significantly to require any of the bandaids I was worried I’d need. Now I can still continue tweaking damping, camber, and toe within normal ranges to get more or less rotation, but am happy with the body control I am getting between the bar and MPP comfort dampers.

Last edited:
Were people at the supercharger like "what the F are you doin bro?" heh
Good idea for time savings
The one guy who pulled up in a Model S while I was there literally wouldn’t make eye contact with me :p . It is one of the older stations that was just in a random hotel parking lot, and doesn’t see much traffic anymore now than the much larger station at a gas station with couple restaurants, a playground, and showers opened across town.

We got a lot more attention stopping on the way to a car meet a couple weekends ago with a random assortment of cars gaggled around us at the charger, heh.