Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autodefogging (again…)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
End of November we picked up our new MYLR having had a M3LR for around 18 months, which performed perfectly.

We always run our HVAC on Auto, and noticed that for the past week or so the car was switching autodefogging on, whether (in our view) it was needed or not. And that the autodefogging would not switch itself off, the car interior becoming like an oven. The cure was to switch the HVAC off completely, then switch on to manual, setting fan speed down to 3.

we weren’t sure if this was (a) a software issue - given that the M3 only got autodefogging after a software update, (b) user error, (c) a problem with the humidity sensor or (d) something else. So on Monday evening I logged the problem on the app and almost immediately was offered an appointment for this morning, which I took at Leeds.

it took them a bit of time to track the problem down, having eliminated a number of things which of course takes time.

eventually they tracked it down to low gas level in the air on system, although there was no evidence of leaks anywhere so one can only assume it was a factory build issue..

anyway, heating etc set on auto for the journey home, where it was -1 degrees outside and definitely would have previously made autodefogging kick in. So I reckon it’s now fixed.

thought I’d share this with the group as I know others have had similar problems, and this may be their cure too.

TLDR: autodefogging not switching off traced to low gas level in air con unit.

Interesting. I’m having the same problem (autodefogging spuriously coming on to a crystal clear windscreen and staying on for far too long) but I just put it down to yet another crappy implementation of Tesla Vision (like wipers and headlights).
Perhaps I judged too soon…. I’ve submitted a service request and the service centre visit has been delayed as they’re still doing remote diagnostics.
We shall see.

Reactions: Fat Wolfie
Quick update: today we didn’t use the car until SWMBO needed to go out at 18.00. By then the car was heavily frosted, so she used the defrost setting on the app to warm the car up before she needed it.

when she got in, HVAC was working as it should, no autodefogging going on - and most definitely it would have done before yesterdays fix.

so very hopeful that all is now well.

still on 2022.44.2, update not yet offered but as others have said, that might also fix issues.

I’ve submitted a service request and the service centre visit has been delayed as they’re still doing remote diagnostics.
We shall see.
Any update with this and defogger behaviour across different software versions?

Our HVAC was blasting out hot air at rear vents with auto defogger displayed. Third party temperature sensor was recording 28-30C even though car was 20C/auto.

We had similar a few years back and a couple of sensors replaced. Hoping it’s not hardware this time and it’s something else going on as a result of new defogger functionality and fixed with later firmware - still on 2022.36.x. But blasting hot air as ours seems to be different to other reports of blasting cold air.

Any update with this and defogger behaviour across different software versions?

Our HVAC was blasting out hot air at rear vents with auto defogger displayed. Third party temperature sensor was recording 28-30C even though car was 20C/auto.

We had similar a few years back and a couple of sensors replaced. Hoping it’s not hardware this time and it’s something else going on as a result of new defogger functionality and fixed with later firmware - still on 2022.36.x. But blasting hot air as ours seems to be different to other reports of blasting cold air.
I’m out of the country at the moment but no noticeable difference after latest software upgrade.
They’re replacing the temperature and humidity sensor, apparently…. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger