Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autodrive Capability Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, new to the group, been a reading a while and learning a bit more so its great to be connected.

Just before the covid *sugar* hit the fan I ordered a black model 3 LR with 19" sport wheels. Not surprisingly I've not yet heard anything r.e. delivery. However, keeping an eye on the UK inventory I see the very same vehicle is showing but with full autodrive capability. Is this just a software thing that can be turned off or is there hardware installed?

I have tried calling Tesla on multiple numbers in the vague hope that they can just de-program it ........ and then we can get the car to me somehow.

Best, David

All current UK vehicles come with autopilot hardware and basic functionality - single land auto steer and traffic aware cruise control - both for use only in limited scenarios unlike some videos that you may see.

This has to be enabled in the car settings, so can be turned off. It is deemed 'beta' and people will have various positive and negative experiences of it - negative ones are predominately where it is being used outside its intended domain - ie not on motorways or major roads with central divider and no intersections.

Full self drive capability (FSD) is an additional cost option that extends the capabilities of the Autopilot features (such as driver initiated lane change) and adds some other features too - like limited auto park and summon (which may allow the car to move a short distance without any driver - in out of a tight space etc). There are a few other gimmicks too.

Welcome!

Likelihood is yes it probably can be turned off. However, it's also very difficult to get hold of Tesla, especially to get an answer to a question like that.

That shouldn't discourage you from asking the question though. The other thing is that UK inventory doesn't necessarily mean in the UK.

The inventory currently has some discounts but linked to taking the FSD option or to put it another way they've added FSD at a cheaper price than list. So while you might be able to get it knocked off, the discount may be lost.

Its been said a few times, not least by me, that the 3rd party inventory site do a better job at listing Teslas than Tesla do, and these sites show the option break down, hidden Tesla stock and Tesla discounts. Check out the likes of ev cp or tesla-info websites. I don't see what the advantage is of actually using the Tesla website when these give more information.