Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autoevolution Renders the Model 3...Poorly.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

20166_web.jpg

Ok, it's ugly, but not THAT ugly :p
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Those renderings are truly hideous!

It's surreal or even unreal how someone can actually design AND publish something like that!

The only two possible explanations are:

a) Nepotism.

or

b) Someone has been making decisions with their genitals instead of their brain.

It can’t possibly be just incompetence!

I'm sure the logo for the Model 3 will include that 'E' that you don't like, Dave. But it's a logo. And it will blatantly poke fun at Ford for not allowing use of 'Model E' ... because it will LOOK like Model E, even though Tesla will say 'Model 3' and refer to it in text as 'Model 3', the badge will be the logo.
I'll probably bug Artsci to get me some chrome tape from his scraps and make my logo into an E.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is the logo will be the symbol as well but Model 3 will be written and obviously spoken as you said. Don't mind the logo just its a little annoying to see it typed out in threads.
Concur.

"Let's make my text unfriendly to search for." Good plan for being ignored.

Concur.

"Let's make my text unfriendly to search for." Good plan for being ignored.
That's my only issue with it. Of course if you need to place symbol to show you are talking about it go for it but if you are talking about the Model 3 car then it's easier to search for that. The symbol doesn't show up in any searches.

- - - Updated - - -

And the rendering they did is horrible. The cartoon TEG posted is funny though.

I really have to disagree totally with the naysayers. This is way lower and better looking by far than an i3. And if we assume a real 4 door cabin and a shorter car there really is no alternative to a stubbier nose.

Even if there has to be a somewhat stubby front end , why would anyone put a huge black plastic object on the front of it so make it look much stubbier. You can keep the Tesla black nose cone, but scale it appropriately.

I really have to disagree totally with the naysayers. This is way lower and better looking by far than an i3. And if we assume a real 4 door cabin and a shorter car there really is no alternative to a stubbier nose.

It sure has an ugly look to it, but in terms of some of the proportions, there's some fairly reasonable stuff.

The battery pack has to be as long and wide as physically possible. In a wide car, the roof height will come down, in order to keep good aerodynamics. Perhaps not as low as a CRZ or Veloster, but it won't be much higher than a Mazda 3. (So get used to limited headroom... but the Model S already has that)

This also means short overhangs to keep the length of the car to a minimum. Relatively long wheelbase will contribute to ride comfort in such a medium-sized car, and while it doesn't help turning radius, the front wheels are able to turn more than normal cars due to lack of ICE in between them.

Which brings me to the frunk. With dimensions 80% of the Model S, short front overhang, space reserved for front motor option, and the space required by the frunk lining itself... I'm not sure if Tesla will bother with much of a frunk at all.

For practicality, a hatchback form factor should not be a surprise.

The large wheels look ridiculous. The large size limit will probably be 20" and standard wheels will be 18".

In short (no pun untended), this design has some sensibility to it, but I just think Franz von Holzhausen and his team will be able to do a darn sight better in the looks department than the artist above.

My guess is the logo will be the symbol as well but Model 3 will be written and obviously spoken as you said. Don't mind the logo just its a little annoying to see it typed out in threads.
I believe that T≡sla already considers the ≡ character an "E". So if it's going to be known as the "T≡sla Model ≡" people are going to pronounce it "Model E" if for no other reason than to get under other peoples skins. Like "XBone" or "Belfs" :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know about you guys, but I sure as heck hope this isn't what the Model 3 ends up looking like:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...ime-dressed-in-hatchback-clothing-95707.html#

View attachment 81703
Except that Elon said that the Model E is going to be a BMW 3-series competitor, and to me that means competitive in the categories of price, performance, and styling. The depicted rendering would be a competitor for a Suzuki Swift, as JohnSnowNW demonstrated.

It sure has an ugly look to it, but in terms of some of the proportions, there's some fairly reasonable stuff.
The horizontal proportions maybe it can be forgiven, but the most ridiculous are the vertical ones.

The windows are ridiculously tall and big, to the point that it's unlikely they can actually wind down into the doors (and if i remember correctly, windows weight more per surface area than sheet metal does, so it actually makes the car heavier). I get they are trying to go for the i3 look, but the i3 actually is far more restrained in this regard.

The wheels are also ridiculously large for the size of the car. In particular the front fender section doesn't look like it would work in in real life.

In short, it looks like cartoon or clown car (an image the EVs are continually trying to get away from). This might be okay for relatively low volume cars, but targeting a 500k volume, there is no way such a car would work out.

Agree 100%. It's just been done by someone who doesn't design cars professionally. Interest in the Model 3 is so big that all sorts of crappy photoshops are getting coverage, no matter how ridiculous.

I look forward to some more serious designs, perhaps by decent students of Automotive Design.

These renderings are stunningly ugly. The 'designer' took all the worst aspects of a Honda Odyssey and accentuated them by reducing it to 5/8th scale. The 25" wheels are utterly ridiculous. The overall design isn't even as good as the Volvo C30 or Hyundai Veloster. There is no correlation to any design themes by Franz von Holzhausen at all. No one, anywhere, would consider this a viable competitor to Acura TLX, Infiniti G50, or Lexus IS, let alone AUDI A4, BMW 3-Series, or Mercedes-Benz C-Class. So obviously, the 'designer', or whomever commissioned the renders for their article, does not believe that will be the case. This is the sort of [BOLSHEVIK] I might well expect out of Detroit, but never for Tesla Motors. In short, they are calling Elon Musk a liar, and begging the world to believe them.

I'm surprised by how much attention (and legitimacy) the Stumpf Studios renderings are getting on tech blogs. No offense to the original artist, but they look rather amateurish to me.
I really don't get why anyone lends any credence to these stupid "renderings" that keep showing up. Some random person says "Here's some random figments of imagination from the dark corners of my mind", posts some pictures that have no bearing on reality, and everyone gets all excited, as if this Stumpf idiot was FVH's right hand man for 20 years.

It's even worse when someone starts a thread (not this one) with a title that implies they are pictures of the real thing. Everyone (myself included) gets all excited, only to be let down.