Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoFlexed Tesla Model S in ZTS Hypershift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a thing...

I sprayed my car in Autoflex removable coatings and ZTS Hypershift. Looks and feels like paint. There were 4 other TMC members that had the chance to see and feel the car this evening. It is a very hard shift. 9 different colors. Green, teal, blue, purple, pink, orange, yellow, blurple and aqua. This is NOT plasti dip. It is completely removable with no ill effect to the clear coat or paint underneath. It can be sanded, buffed, polished and waxed just like real paint. I had a tough time at the car show tonight trying to convince people this is not paint. Enjoy...

IMG_4513.JPG
IMG_4506.JPG
IMG_4496.JPG
IMG_4493.JPG
IMG_4488.JPG
IMG_4483.JPG
IMG_4473.JPG
IMG_4465.JPG
IMG_4460.JPG
IMG_4454.JPG
IMG_4453.JPG

Last edited:
unlike plastidip, autoflex won't get brittle over time, and it's sandable, waxable, and buffable...so I would think it could last several years. I know Darren plans to leave this one on for 2 years, but...we'll see if he makes it that long before he is itching to do another color!

Just don't leave it on for too long, I have an RV that was wrapped for a decade. We were supposed to be able to just peal it off, but it comes off in little flakes, 40 feet of little flakes, even with the release agent I still have adhesive to get off the paint. And it got under everything, so you have to take it off with dental tools in some areas. The guys that did the initial peal tried to accelerate it with heat guns and bubbled the full body paint underneath. Really not sure if this is true for everyone but the image on my wrap transferred into the silver paint. Horror story.

attachment.php

Yes, that's the Miami Orange and Green

-Randy

Just don't leave it on for too long, I have an RV that was wrapped for a decade. We were supposed to be able to just peal it off, but it comes off in little flakes, 40 feet of little flakes, even with the release agent I still have adhesive to get off the paint. And it got under everything, so you have to take it off with dental tools in some areas. The guys that did the initial peal tried to accelerate it with heat guns and bubbled the full body paint underneath. Really not sure if this is true for everyone but the image on my wrap transferred into the silver paint. Horror story.

attachment.php

Yes, that's the Miami Orange and Green

-Randy
Darren's wasn't a wrap, it was a peelable paint of sorts. We peeled another color he did a while back and it came off just fine. His MC red underneath was flawless. This post from last year was about 4 colors ago for him so no worry about leaving it on too long anyway! It's currently fluorescent yellow but I saw he's getting ready to change it again, if he hasn't already.

True, but they are different products. Not sure if the removable coatings (they are sprayed on like paint) age the same as a vinyl wrap. At any rate, I'd probably not risk it on a Tesla, you're right. That is crazy what it did to your RV. A decade is a long time, though!

I don't know, that colored Tesla probably cost a pretty penny, every year you leave it on helps amortize the cost. That may be why people leave them on too long. I spoke to a wrap place who said don't leave them on longer than 5 years, don't know what it should be for Plastidip, I think I read 2 years and it won't come off easily anymore. Don't know about this new product. I have been watching the progress of this DIY paint phenomon at the dipyourcar.com website and YouTube videos. Would be nice to protect the paint and then paint it again a few years later. If it's expensive though I'll not spray it and instead just keep it waxed.

-Randy