Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autofold mirror are so unreliable for me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have autofold turned on and the mirrors always fold 100% of the time as I enter my driveway. The problem is they only unfold automatically about 10% of the time when I drive away. I almost always have to tell them to unfold on use the touchscreen. I usually wait until I'm at least a block away from my house to give them a chance. They almost always let me down. Is there some trick I don't understand or is it just a problem?

I have autofold turned on and the mirrors always fold 100% of the time as I enter my driveway. The problem is they only unfold automatically about 10% of the time when I drive away. I almost always have to tell them to unfold on use the touchscreen. I usually wait until I'm at least a block away from my house to give them a chance. They almost always let me down. Is there some trick I don't understand or is it just a problem?

Maybe you are driving faster than 3-5 MPH as you exit? This is text I find on page 49 of the model 3 manual online regarding autofold / unfold:

====================================

CAUTION: Mirrors may not automatically fold or unfold if you return to a saved location and are driving faster than 3 mph (5 km/h).
====================================

I dont use auto fold myself, I fold them and unfold them manually when I want to use them. This is habit from my previous BMWs because they would only auto unfold once you hit a certain speed. Since many European streets are more narrow than ours here in the US, this was setup this way so that you could drive away down a narrow street without the mirrors unfolding (on the BMWs, per the forums I frequented then).

So, I dont use auto on them at all, but the speed may be what is going on for you, per that quote above.

It works for me (also in Seattle), though takes longer to unfold (and varies more), even way about 3-5 mph. I would guess it depends how good a GPS signal you get when you drive away. It can take quite a time to get a "fix" when in a built up area, it might be that.

I'd be(and apparently am) surprised there's not auto-unfolding regardless of where you are or where you've recently been once you reach around 5mph. You are unlikely to be parking or backing out of a narrow space at 5mph or more.

I've >never< had my mirrors not unfold, very seldom do I make it to the end of my driveway without them unfolding, and they are still folded there, its within 30 yards of road (aka 30mph!) that they unfold.

My otherwise perfect mirror folding/unfolding experience has seemed to occasionally not unfold on me as of a software update or two ago. It's not a huge deal though because as soon as you hit 26mph they will unfold anyway. So in your case, just speed up a little (if safe and legal to do so).