Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autoglass Windshield Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Called them to be told due to the complexity of the fitting I have to take it into the centre so several technicians can work on it at once. Have the rest of you had this done at home or had to take it in? And yes, also insisting it needs to visit Tesla for calibration.

Windshield just replaced, relatively painless experience aside from busying myself for a couple of hours whilst waiting.

OEM glass, has the Tesla logo.

Asked the installer about camera calibration at Tesla. He seemed to think it was due to insurance and liability given the cameras are safety critical systems, AG don't want to be held responsible for any accidents caused by incorrectly calibrated cameras.

Was told not to wash it for 24 hours.

• Informative
Reactions: Beady3647
After praising AG on Friday, it seems they've broken my HVAC.

"Climate Keeper unavailable due to system fault"

Reading up, there's a sensor in the console behind the rear view mirror.

Added to my calibration appointment on Wednesday. My wh/m has improved yet my feet are freezing :(

Quick update:

AG came to inspect the car last week and didn't know what they were looking for. Can't really blame them TBH.

Car went into Tesla this morning. Service attendant was brilliant. I was prepared to explain about Autoglass covering the cost of the calibration, and that if they believed AG to be at fault for the heating error then I would need proof to claim that money back as it wouldn't be covered by warranty. Before I had a chance to explain, the service attendant confirmed that they would charge AG for the calibration and that if they considered them to be at fault for the heating, they (not I) would deal with AG to ask them to cover the cost.

Got a loaner Model S, P85+ '14 plate - only driven it for 15 minutes and hasn't really sparked my interest in exploring it further.

Got a text just now from Tesla confirming that the broken heating was due to cut wires as a result of changing the windshield (I think there's a humidity sensor in the panel where the front facing cameras are). They're waiting for AG to authorise the cost of repair, then will crack on.

Edinburgh Service Centre 10/10
Autoglass 3/10

Hopefully I can collect my model 3 tomorrow.

Reactions: Zakalwe
Autoglass coughed up and many thanks to Tesla, I didn't have to get involved.

£14.50 for the calibration
£14.50 for the diagnostics
£199 to replace an assembly harness (1068787-00-E)

Prices are ex vat but as an ex-BigMoneyWorries owner, that seems really reasonable, even if I would have had to pay for it.

Asked the service rep about the need for camera calibration. Said it was required in case of any adjustments to the yaw and pitch of the sensors following the windshield replacement. The calibration within the car is just a software reset to clear existing calibration, although we couldn't really understand when this would be useful.

I've got a crack in my M3P top/rear glass. I though at first it was a stress crack because there is no chip however after a close inspection with a magnifying glass there are very slight signs of stress a one point in the crack. I had heard a stone hit on the motorway, I'm guessing this was it, it just took a day for the crack to develop to be noticeable.

I got quoted £691 parts + labour from Tesla.

I'm with Direct Line, the Tesla recommended insurer who insist on Autoglass otherwise will only pay out £125 max with a £75 excess.

I made an online appointment at an Autoglass service centre and time, I received an email confirmation later saying the glass is in stock and promised an email appointment confirmation on the appointment on the day.

On the day of the appointment I still had received a confirmation of the place or time I had booked. I phoned them and was told I should have been called to tell me they don't have any stock in the country and they are trying to order it. Apparently the email I got to say the glass is in stock was sent automatically without checking, a change in shifts of the people handling the appointment had meant nobody had called me.

All very annoying as I cancelled a day trip to get it fitted. Thankfully the glass is still in one piece at the moment, just hopping it stays that way. No idea how long it will take them to get the glass.

Attachments

• PXL_20210621_162707850.jpg
    PXL_20210621_162707850.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 475
I've got a crack in my M3P top/rear glass. I though at first it was a stress crack because there is no chip however after a close inspection with a magnifying glass there are very slight signs of stress a one point in the crack. I had heard a stone hit on the motorway, I'm guessing this was it, it just took a day for the crack to develop to be noticeable.

I got quoted £691 parts + labour from Tesla.

I'm with Direct Line, the Tesla recommended insurer who insist on Autoglass otherwise will only pay out £125 max with a £75 excess.

I made an online appointment at an Autoglass service centre and time, I received an email confirmation later saying the glass is in stock and promised an email appointment confirmation on the appointment on the day.

On the day of the appointment I still had received a confirmation of the place or time I had booked. I phoned them and was told I should have been called to tell me they don't have any stock in the country and they are trying to order it. Apparently the email I got to say the glass is in stock was sent automatically without checking, a change in shifts of the people handling the appointment had meant nobody had called me.

All very annoying as I cancelled a day trip to get it fitted. Thankfully the glass is still in one piece at the moment, just hopping it stays that way. No idea how long it will take them to get the glass.
It's not likely to break, the crack will be in one layer of the glass, not all the way through. I had a crack on the back due to a faulty heating element that grew to go from one side to the other, appointment was delayed by stock then the lowdown happened, I lived with it for 6 months.