TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AutoLine Detroit "Low Voltage"

Discussion in 'Video' started by GSP, Nov 18, 2012.

1. GSP

GSP Member

EV skeptics are blown away by the Model S. They gush over how wonderful it is, and also discuss Leaf, Volt, Karma, and Coda. At the end they remain skeptics, but I think the worm is starting to turn. :smile:

Low Voltage (Show #1647) on Autoline This Week

GSP

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Loved the guy basically saying he did not expect much and was blown away.

On the neagtive side, pricing and questions of if the cars can last...

3. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Model S is the only real contender in that batch, IMO.

Also, funny how they went out of their way to mention how fascinating the Coda's powertrain is but then told us NOTHING about it...

4. Vger

Vger Active Member

I would call this one "respectfully sceptical." They are essentially intelligently reflecting the early stage of the market. Their cautions and criticisms are reasonable, they are just not the ones that those of us in the vanguard are overly worried about. While their praise of the Model S was evident, they did not really address its real strength and basis for hope-- that it is a truly aspirational vehicle. This appeal, which is real and not so limited as the appeal for the Karma, is what is driving the reservation count so high, so fast. They did not talk about that. Even Elon acknowledges that Tesla will not be "out of the woods" until they get their gross margin up, generate free cash flow, and become fully profitable some time next year.

5. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I think they were overly kind to the Volt after bashing the Leaf for many of the same points.

However they seemed realistic and the point about cars needing to 'make economic sense'... well, that's the main point behind Tesla going at the high-end first -- don't need to make as strong an economic argument. Ditto for Fisker.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"... astonished. I have never been more wrong in my life."

7. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I thought they were a bit off about the Volt by saying it's just an electric Cruze. Owners have said that is a very unfair comparison in handling and acceleration.

As for Tesla you make an excellent point that they didn't bring up the amount of reservations and what that means toward the future. And while they all loved the car and what it could do they focused on the car they tested, a Signature Performance. It seems most reviewers, the exception was the MTCOTY article, want to call the Model S a $100,000 car. They neglect to mention that the car can be had for a lot less. This has been the quiet downside to the production schedule of Sigs first and general production afterwards.

8. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Were they mistaken about the Rav4 EV? They said it had the 60kWh battery pack. Pretty sure that's a 40kWh pack.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Was wondering about that too, doug.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

"Same as the Tesla" is what I rembember...

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

around 16:40
    Csabe Csere: "60 kWh"

He got the drag coefficient wrong (0.26 instead of 0.24, or the originally reported 0.22) but he wasn't "hard" on that number. He was strong/confident in correcting the "65 kWh" expressed by Jim Hall to 60; but perhaps what he really meant in correcting was that the Model S had a 60 kWh and neglected to reconsider whether the original suggestion should have been the 40 kWh for the RAV.