Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoLine Detroit "Low Voltage"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would call this one "respectfully sceptical." They are essentially intelligently reflecting the early stage of the market. Their cautions and criticisms are reasonable, they are just not the ones that those of us in the vanguard are overly worried about. While their praise of the Model S was evident, they did not really address its real strength and basis for hope-- that it is a truly aspirational vehicle. This appeal, which is real and not so limited as the appeal for the Karma, is what is driving the reservation count so high, so fast. They did not talk about that. Even Elon acknowledges that Tesla will not be "out of the woods" until they get their gross margin up, generate free cash flow, and become fully profitable some time next year.

I think they were overly kind to the Volt after bashing the Leaf for many of the same points.

However they seemed realistic and the point about cars needing to 'make economic sense'... well, that's the main point behind Tesla going at the high-end first -- don't need to make as strong an economic argument. Ditto for Fisker.

I would call this one "respectfully sceptical." They are essentially intelligently reflecting the early stage of the market. Their cautions and criticisms are reasonable, they are just not the ones that those of us in the vanguard are overly worried about. While their praise of the Model S was evident, they did not really address its real strength and basis for hope-- that it is a truly aspirational vehicle. This appeal, which is real and not so limited as the appeal for the Karma, is what is driving the reservation count so high, so fast. They did not talk about that. Even Elon acknowledges that Tesla will not be "out of the woods" until they get their gross margin up, generate free cash flow, and become fully profitable some time next year.

I thought they were a bit off about the Volt by saying it's just an electric Cruze. Owners have said that is a very unfair comparison in handling and acceleration.

As for Tesla you make an excellent point that they didn't bring up the amount of reservations and what that means toward the future. And while they all loved the car and what it could do they focused on the car they tested, a Signature Performance. It seems most reviewers, the exception was the MTCOTY article, want to call the Model S a $100,000 car. They neglect to mention that the car can be had for a lot less. This has been the quiet downside to the production schedule of Sigs first and general production afterwards.

around 16:40
Csabe Csere: "60 kWh"

He got the drag coefficient wrong (0.26 instead of 0.24, or the originally reported 0.22) but he wasn't "hard" on that number. He was strong/confident in correcting the "65 kWh" expressed by Jim Hall to 60; but perhaps what he really meant in correcting was that the Model S had a 60 kWh and neglected to reconsider whether the original suggestion should have been the 40 kWh for the RAV.