Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autolock at home

FerrariMike

Jan 7, 2018
San Francisco
I use auto lock on my X when I walk away from the car, but the problem is that it always locks the car in my garage at home, which can be an inconvenience. Is there a way to disable auto lock at home, but keep it everywhere else?
Definitely a first world problem, but still an annoyance.
Thanks
Mike

ShawnA

Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2017
Edwardsburg, MI
Hi FerrariMike,

In a word no...

I have recently changed my car to lock on walk away...
There has been much discussion about this.
I am happy with it locked at home in the garage
because it sleeps better and faster.

Shawn

Qbenjamin

Frugal But Classy!
Jan 7, 2017
Bravos
I use auto lock on my X when I walk away from the car, but the problem is that it always locks the car in my garage at home, which can be an inconvenience. Is there a way to disable auto lock at home, but keep it everywhere else?
Definitely a first world problem, but still an annoyance.
Thanks
Mike
Yes/No. If you keep the key fob nearby, it won't lock. You could mount a key holder right as you walk in from the garage and put the key fob there. This should do the trick for you..

alphainfinity

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2019
Kalispell
Yes/No. If you keep the key fob nearby, it won't lock. You could mount a key holder right as you walk in from the garage and put the key fob there. This should do the trick for you..

Then you risk running the battery on the key fob down prematurely because it will be in constant contact with the vehicle and we all know that you can't just replace a battery on a Tesla key fob.

It would be really nice if Tesla added an option that excluded "home" from the autolock feature.

Qbenjamin

Frugal But Classy!
Jan 7, 2017
Bravos
Then you risk running the battery on the key fob down prematurely because it will be in constant contact with the vehicle and we all know that you can't just replace a battery on a Tesla key fob.

OP asked for an alternative and I gave him one.

Also, you can easily replace the battery in the key fob, all you have to do is pry it open and replace.

FerrariMike

Jan 7, 2018
San Francisco
Thanks for replies. I guess I live with it. Not a fan of keeping a fob in the garage, since it might be forgotten when
I am done and run both batteries down. The real problem is getting out to the garage and finding you forgot to bring the fob.
Oh well, enough other stuff to enjoy on the car.

outie

May 22, 2016
SoCal
I have requested this feature since 2016, through Tesla support, tweet EM, participate in Bonnie’s feature request, etc. After 3 years+ of waiting, I gave up. I am just nobody so no one at Tesla will listen to me. If you know any famous YouTube you might get Tesla attention.

Now there is an alternative solution. Set up a “Home” driver profile and uncheck auto lock on away. Switch your driver profile to Home when you are parked inside the garage. I use this workaround when my kid fell asleep in the car so anyone can go get the kid without running for the fob first.

• Informative
Reactions: puhiniho and ARMARM

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC