Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autolock at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use auto lock on my X when I walk away from the car, but the problem is that it always locks the car in my garage at home, which can be an inconvenience. Is there a way to disable auto lock at home, but keep it everywhere else?
Definitely a first world problem, but still an annoyance.
Thanks
Mike

Hi FerrariMike,

In a word no...

I have recently changed my car to lock on walk away...
There has been much discussion about this.
I am happy with it locked at home in the garage
because it sleeps better and faster.

Shawn

I use auto lock on my X when I walk away from the car, but the problem is that it always locks the car in my garage at home, which can be an inconvenience. Is there a way to disable auto lock at home, but keep it everywhere else?
Thanks
Mike
Yes/No. If you keep the key fob nearby, it won't lock. You could mount a key holder right as you walk in from the garage and put the key fob there. This should do the trick for you..

Yes/No. If you keep the key fob nearby, it won't lock. You could mount a key holder right as you walk in from the garage and put the key fob there. This should do the trick for you..

Then you risk running the battery on the key fob down prematurely because it will be in constant contact with the vehicle and we all know that you can't just replace a battery on a Tesla key fob.

It would be really nice if Tesla added an option that excluded "home" from the autolock feature.

Thanks for replies. I guess I live with it. Not a fan of keeping a fob in the garage, since it might be forgotten when
I am done and run both batteries down. The real problem is getting out to the garage and finding you forgot to bring the fob.
Oh well, enough other stuff to enjoy on the car.

I have requested this feature since 2016, through Tesla support, tweet EM, participate in Bonnie’s feature request, etc. After 3 years+ of waiting, I gave up. I am just nobody so no one at Tesla will listen to me. If you know any famous YouTube you might get Tesla attention.

Now there is an alternative solution. Set up a “Home” driver profile and uncheck auto lock on away. Switch your driver profile to Home when you are parked inside the garage. I use this workaround when my kid fell asleep in the car so anyone can go get the kid without running for the fob first.

• Informative
Reactions: puhiniho and ARMARM
Thanks
Mike
Well what do you know, over 2 1/2 years later, and ever since I got my car in May it had the checkbox "Exclude Home", and it worked for me, until yesterday. They apparently broke the functionality with my last software update. I took a picture to prove it wasn't I who had unchecked the box in error.

Attachments

• IMG_8411.jpeg
    IMG_8411.jpeg
    895.3 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: brainhouston
Well what do you know, over 2 1/2 years later, and ever since I got my car in May it had the checkbox "Exclude Home", and it worked for me, until yesterday. They apparently broke the functionality with my last software update. I took a picture to prove it wasn't I who had unchecked the box in error.
My Model S wasnt staying unlocked at home after 2022.36.2 and had found that somehow my "checkbox" became unchecked. I know that isnt the case for you but I would suggest to try to do a reboot (both scrollwheel buttons) and if that doesnt fix it, then try to uncheck the box and then re-check the box.

I got the 2022.36.6 update yesterday and my "exclude home" is still working correct.y.

My Model S wasnt staying unlocked at home after 2022.36.2 and had found that somehow my "checkbox" became unchecked. I know that isnt the case for you but I would suggest to try to do a reboot (both scrollwheel buttons) and if that doesnt fix it, then try to uncheck the box and then re-check the box.

I got the 2022.36.6 update yesterday and my "exclude home" is still working correct.y.
Thanks. It’s been fine lately. It WAS the case for me that the box became unchecked, but it was not I who did it. Car did it. I’m the only driver.