Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autolock w/ key or card left in car - Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you expect the car to know that she walked away from it if she left the phone in the car?

The auto-lock when you walk away uses the phone's connection/proximity to lock the doors when the phone is taken away.

I guess algorithmically, it could be done. Car in park, cabin camera, repeaters, door button, door ajar sensor, seatbelt, "gear setting", and lastly the seat sensor alongside a timer, it could be done.

If: seat belt, seat sensor, door ajar, cabin camera for presence of life are false, and gear setting is park is true, and both the timing of seat sensor/seat belt to door button to door ajar to door closed and cameras detect exiting of the vehicle and walking out of frame in any or all cameras in addition to any facial recognition (lets face it, it's only a matter if time), and the GPS location is somewhere other than and 5/10/15 min have passed, then XYZ lock vehicle. I suppose if the car can sense the Keycard enter/exit the vicinity of the vehicle would work too, but I'm not positive it can.

It certainly COULD be done with machine learning. The more you share your data to Tesla, the sooner it will be a possibility!

Small usecase for me, it is faster to buy a smart watch to annoy you if your phone is out if range, or use the PIN to drive and PIN for glovebox (for the Keycard in car folks) or something like that. Or just simply have a routine of saying "phone wallet keys" and check before leaving.

If: seat belt, seat sensor, door ajar, cabin camera for presence of life are false, and gear setting is park is true, and both the timing of seat sensor/seat belt to door button to door ajar to door closed and cameras detect exiting of the vehicle and walking out of frame in any or all cameras in addition to any facial recognition (lets face it, it's only a matter if time), and the GPS location is somewhere other than and 5/10/15 min have passed, then XYZ lock vehicle. I suppose if the car can sense the Keycard enter/exit the vicinity of the vehicle would work too, but I'm not positive it can.
As long as Tesla can give everyone your phone number so you can explain the rules to baffled owners :)

The OP has a point though. It comes down to the lesser of two evils: being locked out of your car, vs having the car stolen. He feels the theft threat is more important, others would disagree.

Being locked out of your car can vary dramatically. If you can call your partner and ask for the cart to be remotely unlocked (the OP case), then its not a big deal. If you are in the middle of nowhere, with no-one around and no cell reception, you are more of less hosed.

Probably the best solution would be for Tesla to have a toggle somewhere saying "Auto-lock car if left unattended" type option, but I will give it one week max before someone posts here about how they got locked out of their car.

Also, though I've not used it, doesnt "PIN to drive" solve the OPs issue? If he set the car to require a PIN, then even if the car is unlocked, it can't be stolen without the PIN. Which avoids both the theft issue and the locked-out issue. Of course, it leaves the contents of the car open to theft, but locked cars down stop thieves anyway :(

Reactions: hellobye
I guess algorithmically, it could be done. Car in park, cabin camera, repeaters, door button, door ajar sensor, seatbelt, "gear setting", and lastly the seat sensor alongside a timer, it could be done.

It certainly COULD be done with machine learning. The more you share your data to Tesla, the sooner it will be a possibility!

Small usecase for me, it is faster to buy a smart watch to annoy you if your phone is out if range, or use the PIN to drive and PIN for glovebox (for the Keycard in car folks) or something like that. Or just simply have a routine of saying "phone wallet keys" and check before leaving.
This sounds too complicated. Since the car has cameras all around, and computer powerful enough to do real-time neural network processing on multiple video streams, it would be totally capable of doing facial recognition for car drivers. And add a bit more fun and security - if the person with recognized face is doing a pre-set pose beside the car, it unlocks.

Reactions: hellobye
This sounds too complicated. Since the car has cameras all around, and computer powerful enough to do real-time neural network processing on multiple video streams, it would be totally capable of doing facial recognition for car drivers. And add a bit more fun and security - if the person with recognized face is doing a pre-set pose beside the car, it unlocks.
Please send me a recent photo of your face so I can borrow your car when I need to :)

• Funny
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
If you carry a card separate from your phone then you’re not locked out that way. The car doesn’t see the cards the same way as the phone, though, so it can’t tell if the card has “walked away.” Maybe just get in the habit of checking the app? (Then if you forget your phone you’ll know right away because you can’t check the app.)
That's a great idea. Why the down vote folks?
I'd rather have her get locked out of the car with the phone inside and be able to unlock it with her card which she had, or called me
to unlock it, than have the car get stolen. 100%.
The Pin is a good idea here. I think most of the masses can't even figure out how to open the door, let alone think they can take it for a joy ride.
Well they're morons. Seriously.

If your car gets stolen with the key left in it unlocked, almost all insurance companies in most cases, will NOT pay out.
Never hear of this. It's still unlawful to take property that does not belong to you and the perp should be prosecuted to the highest. Has nothing to do with what the owner did or didn't do.

Reactions: drtimhill
Never hear of this. It's still unlawful to take property that does not belong to you and the perp should be prosecuted to the highest. Has nothing to do with what the owner did or didn't do.
It's not so different from leaving your house front door unlocked or open so a burglar could just walk in. If an insurance company can proof that I would think they have a good reason not to pay your claim if a burglary happens.

It's not so different from leaving your house front door unlocked or open so a burglar could just walk in. If an insurance company can proof that I would think they have a good reason not to pay your claim if a burglary happens.
In my opinion, the insurance should only reject claims if someone leaves the door open or key in the car unlocked intentionally. Of course, businesses may not run the same way I'm thinking.

If an insurance company can proof that I would think they have a good reason not to pay your claim if a burglary happens.
No, it's not a good reason (though whether it's a valid reason will depend on the wording of your policy) - though they will try to prove that the items were given away rather than stolen if there's no sign of forced entry. Fortunately, there's no "stupidity clause" in most policies.

This is such an interesting thread! I've wondered what would happen if I left my phone in my car -- I'm happier to have it unlocked, as I'd have no one to call to open it again, and I might have had to take a cab home to retrieve my spare key card. I do keep a key card in my wallet as well, but there are times I briefly jump out of the car (to put something in someone's mailbox, for instance), and I hoped the car wouldn't lock with everything inside.

No, it's not a good reason (though whether it's a valid reason will depend on the wording of your policy) - though they will try to prove that the items were given away rather than stolen if there's no sign of forced entry. Fortunately, there's no "stupidity clause" in most policies.

This is such an interesting thread! I've wondered what would happen if I left my phone in my car -- I'm happier to have it unlocked, as I'd have no one to call to open it again, and I might have had to take a cab home to retrieve my spare key card. I do keep a key card in my wallet as well, but there are times I briefly jump out of the car (to put something in someone's mailbox, for instance), and I hoped the car wouldn't lock with everything inside.
This was my solution: https://www.teslaring.com

Always on my finger. I can never get locked out. Great for the beach and pool.