Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automakers finally getting the Message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, as far as I can tell Ford has only committed to sell 1 (one) EV outside of China.

Out of the 40 electrified vehicles mentioned in the article, 16 are EVs and 15 of those have been announced for sale in China to meet government mandates. According to Electrek, there have been no statements from Ford yet about plans to market these EVs outside of China. Electrek

Maybe they'll update their plans at some point but at this stage applause seems premature. This seems to be just a slick PR move by Ford -- have to admit it tricked me at first.

The message being China's CARB-like credit system, which when added to the ZEV states and EU 2021 requirements means they don't have a choice.

Pretty much this. I'll believe other manufacturers have gotten the message when they meet two conditions: they start selling a range of 150+ mile EVs, in volume of at least 50k units/year/model, in the US, in all states. And when R&D spending on electric powertrains outstrips R&D spending on ICE powertrains.

And just to make the point explicit: there are currently zero manufacturers who meet those criteria outside of Tesla. (Technically Tesla doesn't yet meet the first, but only due to their lower company-wide manufacturing capability. Soon that will change.)

The local news coverage of this (WGN Mid-day News) ended with "because Tesla vehicles are in great demand" or something to that effect. Basically it went from being a Ford story to a Tesla ad. :D

But the story did make it seem like they were going to be sold here and not just for China. It's a shame, I could see an electric Mustang or Explorer doing very well. (or the F150 for sure.)

Reactions: Sean Wagner