TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Automate your Tesla with NFC Technology

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by 08micev, Oct 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 08micev

08micev Member

I was always using the stats app to verbally tell my iPhone to open trunk, open frunk, etc. Then I realized I could place these NFC stickers in my wallet which I carry with me everyday regardless. The problem is I didn't want to tap my phone on my car to open the trunk I can just simply do that by pushing the trunk button. While walking to my car I just tap my iPhone to my wallet; the trunk or frunk or any other automation I so choose, will activate before I arrive to my Tesla. Remember, multiple automation's can be placed under one NFC tag.

• Informative x 2
    • Funny x 1
  2. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm not understanding the application here?

If you already have to take our your phone then you can just use the app- that's free and doesn't require your wallet or any NFC tags or any other extra steps.

And as you note for opening the trunk you don't even need to take the phone out at all- just push the trunk release on the physical trunk with the hand you'd otherwise have grabbed your phone with.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. 08micev

08micev Member

Going through the tesla app or any 3rd party app will always take longer to open the trunk/frunk or automate the tesla rather than a simple tap to a NFC tag with your phone in my opinion.

• Like x 2
  4. ivy_

ivy_ Member

neat idea. Gotta try it.

• Like x 1
  5. hydro 481

hydro 481 Active Member

It's more useful for the frunk than trunk. There's no physical frunk button so tapping your phone on the bumper like the guy did in the video is more convenient than having to unlock through the phone app.

I just wish this would work for the Apple Watch. Would be awesome combining it with the power frunk mod.

• Like x 4
  6. tashtibet

tashtibet Member

I am just curious -do you use Apple watch with App to function your Tesla? What App? How reliable, what feature etc? please explain.

7. hydro 481

hydro 481 Active Member

I do not. But I do know you can use certain apps to do things via voice command through siri shortcut. Open/lock the car, open/close frunk/trunk, summon, ect. Here's an article explaining it You Can Control a Tesla With Your Apple Watch

8. 08micev

08micev Member

#8 08micev, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    You can use your Apple Watch to tell Siri to automate your Tesla, however, the NFC tag option with the watch will not work. If you want want to use only Siri and no NFC tags, see this video...

9. SD39

SD39 Member

Just did this on my Model 3 Performance. Thanks for the ideas!!

10. 08micev

08micev Member

No problem!

11. JWSM3Owner

JWSM3Owner Member

I saw TeslaRaj’s video and ordered the nfc tags before I even got the car. The only real use case for me is the frunk (though automating warming up the car for anyone who parks outside seems like it would be pretty awesome!). I plan to place the tag on the bumper area facing the frunk like the guy in the link below (which seems a more natural place to tap than the tow hook). The placement is clever and concealed, and I plan to give that a try. I’m concerned that the tag would be outside the frunk seal and exposed to the elements, and I can’t imagine this paper sticker will last long in rain/snow. Guess we’ll find out!

NFC tag Model 3 Frunk