Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automate your Tesla with NFC Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was always using the stats app to verbally tell my iPhone to open trunk, open frunk, etc. Then I realized I could place these NFC stickers in my wallet which I carry with me everyday regardless. The problem is I didn't want to tap my phone on my car to open the trunk I can just simply do that by pushing the trunk button. While walking to my car I just tap my iPhone to my wallet; the trunk or frunk or any other automation I so choose, will activate before I arrive to my Tesla. Remember, multiple automation's can be placed under one NFC tag.

Perhaps I'm not understanding the application here?

If you already have to take our your phone then you can just use the app- that's free and doesn't require your wallet or any NFC tags or any other extra steps.

And as you note for opening the trunk you don't even need to take the phone out at all- just push the trunk release on the physical trunk with the hand you'd otherwise have grabbed your phone with.

I was always using the stats app to verbally tell my iPhone to open trunk, open frunk, etc. Then I realized I could place these NFC stickers in my wallet which I carry with me everyday regardless. The problem is I didn't want to tap my phone on my car to open the trunk I can just simply do that by pushing the trunk button. While walking to my car I just tap my iPhone to my wallet; the trunk or frunk or any other automation I so choose, will activate before I arrive to my Tesla. Remember, multiple automation's can be placed under one NFC tag.

neat idea. Gotta try it.

Reactions: 08micev
Perhaps I'm not understanding the application here?

If you already have to take our your phone then you can just use the app- that's free and doesn't require your wallet or any NFC tags or any other extra steps.

And as you note for opening the trunk you don't even need to take the phone out at all- just push the trunk release on the physical trunk with the hand you'd otherwise have grabbed your phone with.
It's more useful for the frunk than trunk. There's no physical frunk button so tapping your phone on the bumper like the guy did in the video is more convenient than having to unlock through the phone app.

I just wish this would work for the Apple Watch. Would be awesome combining it with the power frunk mod.

It's more useful for the frunk than trunk. There's no physical frunk button so tapping your phone on the bumper like the guy did in the video is more convenient than having to unlock through the phone app.

I just wish this would work for the Apple Watch. Would be awesome combining it with the power frunk mod.
I am just curious -do you use Apple watch with App to function your Tesla? What App? How reliable, what feature etc? please explain.

I saw TeslaRaj’s video and ordered the nfc tags before I even got the car. The only real use case for me is the frunk (though automating warming up the car for anyone who parks outside seems like it would be pretty awesome!). I plan to place the tag on the bumper area facing the frunk like the guy in the link below (which seems a more natural place to tap than the tow hook). The placement is clever and concealed, and I plan to give that a try. I’m concerned that the tag would be outside the frunk seal and exposed to the elements, and I can’t imagine this paper sticker will last long in rain/snow. Guess we’ll find out!

NFC tag Model 3 Frunk

Good idea, but what if you touch the tag accidentally but not presented at the car?
Won't it be safer to stick on the car?

My problem with this method is that I have to give my credentials to third party app that handles the NFC tech.