TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Automated car wash

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Darthbenji, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

I know the manual says don’t use the touch washes. Has anyone gone through the touchless ones yet with a model 3? Any issues?
    I simply do not have the time to hand wash and want to be able to keep it clean.

2. johndorian

johndorian Member

#2 johndorian, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Went through a Petro touchless on the weekend, no issues.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

Good to know. I have the Petro Superwash card and did not want to have to give up using it. I'll limit to only using the touchless ones though.

4. doubeld

doubeld Member

You don't have 5 minutes to hand-wash your car? Your time must be really valuable ;)

• Like x 1
  5. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

5 minutes? That's not possible for me. When I get into hand washing my car, it's like opening Pandora's box. I keep going further and further into the details, and I'll end up blowing 3 hours. I use a touchless wash on my S every a couple of times per week, and then handwash it well, once a month.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. doubeld

doubeld Member

No, I'm talking hand wand-wash. The ones where you hold the pressure washer and choose between soap/rinse/wax/brush. Do those not exist in Ontario? It takes maybe 10 minutes and $10 tops to get a good clean. An automatic one takes like 5 minutes (if there's no lineup) and does a poor job anyway.

7. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Oh that I could do! They’re safe? I’m just worried the water pressure is too high for the paint.
    Hand washing I’ll become neurotic and end up screwing around for ages.

8. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

The pressure from the appropriate distance is fine. The issue with coin-op car washes is the brushes. They may have all sorts of dirt and debris in them.

• Informative x 1
  9. richyrich

richyrich Member

I've been through touchless a couple of times. I only use the ones where you propel yourself and I always get the basic wash without the horrid spray-on-wax/Rain-X crap that never comes off the windscreen. No issues at all - not like the brand-new Hyundai Santa Fe I had a few years back where it started raining from the sunroof!

10. richyrich

richyrich Member

Yeah handwash isn't five minutes for me either! I'll do it every few weeks and as the seasons change but it's definitely more like 2-3 hours and that's rarely time I have to spare. Usually I just zip through the carwash once a week or so to remove most of the muck.

The new challenge is the hassle of buying a carwash without buying gas - where I am it costs more AND I have to leave my lovely Model 3 and walk in! :)

11. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

What about the ones where you just sit there and the high pressure sprayers move around the car. Any issues for the paint with them?

12. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

No problem with those. They don't work as well, but they don't seem to damage anything.

13. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

We have those of course. I actually find that the automatic ones do a better job, as long as you go fairly frequently.

14. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

Mississauga Petro Canada always have long line up for touch less rail less car washes.

Giving up and bought a pressure washer with foam cannon to wash at home.

Lots of efforts to wash as Model X is tall and big...

15. AviP

AviP Member

Or just buy a pressure washer and use it at home. Electric pressure washer of course, as it would be blasphemous to use an ICE pressure washer on an electric car. ;)

• Funny x 1
  16. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

Are there any issues worth noting when using the touchless washes with the rail?

17. mistermatt

mistermatt Member

I started drinking the kool aid regarding good hand washes/etc and think I have a new hobby which may become a minor obsession.

18. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

#18 Plan B, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Love this guy:

19. I am 3LECTRIC

I am 3LECTRIC Member

Did you just put your car in Neutral for the touchless wash? I read a post on Facebook about how the Model 3 doesn't like staying in Neutral and will eventually move to Park after a short period of time

20. GreenT

GreenT Member

Adrian Monk washes my car. It takes him about a month.

• Funny x 2