TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Automated Car Washing

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MartyL, Jul 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MartyL

MartyL Member

I just brought a non-Tesla car of mine into a car wash and noticed a sign warning that automated breaking systems should be turned off, so I need to ask if there are any precautions that I should take when I bring in my Tesla S?

2. kev1n

kev1n Member

no expensive car should ever see an automatic car wash

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

I think a touchless car wash would reduce mechanical damages on your car but it may use strong detergent that is not good for your paint.

I would avoid the ones that has rags or brushes touching your car.

I would avoid one that pulls your car for a ride.

If you must, make sure your car is in Neutral gear or Tow mode where the car can roll freely so the automatic system can pull your car.

4. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

The big thing is to make sure you are in Neutral. Even then I'd keep your seatbelt on just in case. I had two bad experiences when I lifted out of my seat in the car wash and it threw itself into park. I can't remember the details though.

5. TIppy

TIppy Member

I took a Jeep Cherokee through a touchless car wash, once. Those things should be called cleanless car washes. The car wasn't even that dirty, but it made absolutely no difference.

6. ABVA

ABVA Member

I will never take the car to a regular car wash or anything that pulls my car. It has been Touchless Car washes for both of my MS. It does take a little bit of elbow grease after the wash i.e. thoroughly drying the vehicle with micro fiber towels, tire shine, etc. It helps if you have the vehicles wrapped (XpelPro or like kind) and coated.