TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Automated underground parking and charging, sort of.

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by JRP3, Feb 16, 2014.

1. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

#1 JRP3, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    You still have to plug the car in, but this is pretty slick.

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

That's pretty cool. The clearance of the connector sticking out of the charge port while going down the elevator made me a little nervous. Otherwise, nice system. Whenever people try to convince me that inductive charging is a great idea, I always tell them I'd rather see some automated conductive system. I guess this qualifies.

3. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Needs a robot arm to plug in the cable once it's underground for full automation.

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#4 wiztecy, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    That whole platform was super jerky underground, what was the deal with that!? It was like someone tugging on the S and saying the the hell over here!!! Seems like a big waste of space underground if your moving over 2-3 car lengths to charge. Curious why it didn't just drop down to charge, seems excessive to do the sidestep action when there wasn't a need. Then the tugging wouldn't have occurred. If it was my product that tugging in a video would have been a no go or at least just show the drop down version not the side-step version. I know people who have a drop down garage in San Francisco for their classic cars due to lack of parking above ground. Only thing I'd be concerned with is humidity down there.

Also Bending down every day to grab the charge connector like that would get old really quick too. There would have to be something I step on that extends when I park and retracts when I'm done charging, possibly activated by a foot pedal.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27