Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automated way to log charging amounts/costs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Does anyone know a way to automatically log charging amounts seperated into home charging, supercharger and third party charging?

For novated lease purposes, my lease provider can reimburse me for the charging costs and the more accurate I can record my cost, the better.

Reactions: javataco
I use an app called EEVEE
you can output a report per month, year etc and splits it into home, public etc
I questioned them about how accurate they reporting is
They said they collect car data and report it as is
Hello,

Does anyone know a way to automatically log charging amounts seperated into home charging, supercharger and third party charging?

For novated lease purposes, my lease provider can reimburse me for the charging costs and the more accurate I can record my cost, the better.

TeslaFi I believe is the best option for this. You can filter it down, tag locations, tag different types of charging sessions, and once you have your tag locations setup, its all automated.
screencapture-teslafi-charges-php-2022-08-02-08_28_50.png

how is the data actually collected.
All these apps and websites collect data directly from Tesla's servers, using the same API that the official mobile apps use.

Just be aware you're handing the keys to your Tesla account to a third party, either via username and password or with a generated access token. In addition to tracking your car's location this also gives access to remote unlock and (if you've given them the password) remote start.

If you're more technically inclined you can run something like TeslaMate yourself

Reactions: johnchidgey
It should be noted that some chargers are in carparks that don't have any reception so the stats don't get reported. I use Tessie app and the new Evie charger in Castle Hill is buried deep in the carpark and every single time I have used it there is no record. Just a warning.

It should be noted that some chargers are in carparks that don't have any reception so the stats don't get reported. I use Tessie app and the new Evie charger in Castle Hill is buried deep in the carpark and every single time I have used it there is no record. Just a warning.
Wouldn't data be uploaded once you exit the car park and internet connectivity is established?

No, because the car doesn't expose any history via the API, all that's available is a live snapshot - which the various apps and websites use to create a history.
That doesn't seem to be the case anymore, because the Tesla app now shows 31 days of charging history, and you can see when it updates that it contacts the car and gets all the charging information since it was last updated.

Speaking of which, the car charging history might do the trick if you were diligent about taking a screenshot of it every 31 days. It looks like this:

1659405432406.png

If you multiply the Home / Work / Supercharger / Other percentages by the total, you'll get the kWh at each location.

The Home location has further statistics giving both the % and kWh for each time period in your tariff.

Reactions: Olle
That doesn't seem to be the case anymore, because the Tesla app now shows 31 days of charging history, and you can see when it updates that it contacts the car and gets all the charging information since it was last updated.

Speaking of which, the car charging history might do the trick if you were diligent about taking a screenshot of it every 31 days. It looks like this:

View attachment 835548

If you multiply the Home / Work / Supercharger / Other percentages by the total, you'll get the kWh at each location.

The Home location has further statistics giving both the % and kWh for each time period in your tariff.
The Tesla logging is pretty substandard because as far as I can tell, you can't set different prices for the "Other" category. E.g. DCFC at 60c/kWh charged the same as free AC charging at a supermarket.

Hmmm…
I wasn’t aware of this
Is this the same with all apps except the Tesla one?
They seem to be close enough (EEVEE vs Tesla) as we mostly charge from home

All these apps and websites collect data directly from Tesla's servers, using the same API that the official mobile apps use.

Just be aware you're handing the keys to your Tesla account to a third party, either via username and password or with a generated access token. In addition to tracking your car's location this also gives access to remote unlock and (if you've given them the password) remote start.

If you're more technically inclined you can run something like TeslaMate yourself

View attachment 835548

No I don't think so. If it is not reported as it happened then it is lost in the never never.

No I don't think so. If it is not reported as it happened then it is lost in the never never.
Try it - do some charging without opening the Tesla app, wait a few hours or overnight or something, then open the app while the car is still asleep and go to the Charge Stats. You'll see a delay until the charging appears in the chart after it contacts the car.

Presumably this is why the Charge Stats required both an update to the app and the car firmware before it appeared.