Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic braking in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On three occasions in the past six weeks, my Model S has come to an abrupt stop while backing up. There were no audio tones, and I did not observe any instrument panel messages. My initial impression was that the car had stopped to avoid contact with something behind, but each time, there was nothing in my path. These occurred at different locations, on level and slightly inclined terrain. I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Thanks
SS

Yeah - this completely unglued me when I first got the car. The rear window viewing area is the size of a dinner plate and shifting yourself in the seat to be able to see something out of it sets the emergency brake. I did it repeatedly when got the car, but have since learned to rely on the rear view cam for backing. I understand the logic of the feature, but dislike it nonetheless.

On three occasions in the past six weeks, my Model S has come to an abrupt stop while backing up. There were no audio tones, and I did not observe any instrument panel messages. My initial impression was that the car had stopped to avoid contact with something behind, but each time, there was nothing in my path. These occurred at different locations, on level and slightly inclined terrain. I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Thanks
SS
Was it in park after the abrupt stop? If so, what the two comments above say is the most likely scenario. If it wasn't in park, then it was something else.