Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic braking take over

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I had to slam on the brakes pretty hard because the car in front of me freaked out over a yellow light. While I had to hit the brakes hard, but I was in no danger of hitting her and I paced the car to save the cargo. Yet the car decided it was too much and took over my brake pedal and slammed it even harder, throwing my dog and cargo onto the floor. Have you guys experience that before? Is there anyway to not make it so aggressive.

I experienced it once. You can turn automatic emergency braking (AEB) either on or off, there is nothing in between.

Toning it down -even if it were possible-wouldn't make a lot of sense imho. It's designed to trigger only in an emergency situation, and by the time the car detects that a collision is almost inevitable, it better brake as hard as it can. If it responded sooner, it would probably take over more often than we like.

Reactions: scottf200
The thing that is creepy is that I was already on the brakes 75%, then the car took over the brakes and hit it at 100%. The pedal literally dropped from underneath my foot! My dog was not happy to be thrown
The car probably did the calculations *pretty* fast and decided the statistical numbers necessitated it. If it were a different situation, your dog would probably miss you when you were gone.

This happened to me twice in 5 years of driving Tesla. The first one I am actually grateful the car did drop the anchors; I was already braking moderately as I had been trying to catch up to slower traffic crossing a green light. When the light turned amber, the guy in front slammed on the brakes unexpectedly at the exact split second I was checking my mirror. As it turned out I wasn't braking hard enough to avoid a collision and the car stopped a millimeter off his bumper. I didn't even know the car could brake so hard; I thought I hit him but when I got out to check there was no damage at all.

The second time I was driving very slowly close to someone pushing a shopping trolley in a parking lot...the car decided it was going to hit me and stopped dead.

Overall I'm happy to have it switched on.

I get that, but the logic is wrong. If you are on the brakes hard, it didn’t need to stomp it harder for you. It’s an easy fix

But how would that work? The car cannot say "oh, he's braking, I'll assume he has got it right" even if it can determine that you will stop in time based on your current speed/distance/road conditions/brake application (and the equations for all THAT are not trivial). For all it knows you might stop braking at any moment. It might be unpleasant, but braking a bit too often is better than not braking when it should.

Reactions: scottf200
If I stop braking it can take over. Car should not be stopping 1.5 cars ahead when you are already on it. What if I want to be right up against the bumper? This isn’t like I forgot to brake and I would hit the car in front if the car didn’t intervene

hmm no, there were over 1.5 cars between the car in front of me and myself. There was no need for that type of braking force when I was already on the brakes.

All the measurements used in the braking calc have an uncertainty. How should the car treat those uncertainties? Should it hit cars when it could of stopped because it used the most likely values of those measurements? Or is it better to be conservative and stop short?