Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Climate Control vs Las Vegas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I'm all ready to get my long range, PUP included Model 3 and had one question for anyone who has a Model S and lives in a warm climate. With the sunroof/glass roof that will be coming with the Model 3 I am worried about how hot it gets in the car. I ready a little bit about the Automatic Climate Control online but wanted to see if I could find some first-hand experience from some of you guys how well the climate control works, how much battery it sucks up, and in an environment like Las Vegas (or somewhere comparable) if you need something like what was just mentioned in the Model 3 Sunshade thread.

My worry about the glass roof was it cooking my car all day long. I loved the idea of a sunroof when I bought my current car but I have realized I barely ever roll the shade part back because it just gets so hot here. Also for work, I park in a large, uncovered parking lot every day for 9 hours and am interested if the ACC stays running all day, or if you just turn it on say 15-20 minutes before you leave the office, etc. Thanks ahead of time for the info!

the many newbies here should get familiar with the search feature on this site, there are numerous threads that discuss the pano and all glass roofs found on the S and X models. the consensus is that the glass is well tinted and there isn't much of a heat build up because of all the glass on top.

Hey everyone, I'm all ready to get my long range, PUP included Model 3 and had one question for anyone who has a Model S and lives in a warm climate. With the sunroof/glass roof that will be coming with the Model 3 I am worried about how hot it gets in the car. I ready a little bit about the Automatic Climate Control online but wanted to see if I could find some first-hand experience from some of you guys how well the climate control works, how much battery it sucks up, and in an environment like Las Vegas (or somewhere comparable) if you need something like what was just mentioned in the Model 3 Sunshade thread.

My worry about the glass roof was it cooking my car all day long. I loved the idea of a sunroof when I bought my current car but I have realized I barely ever roll the shade part back because it just gets so hot here. Also for work, I park in a large, uncovered parking lot every day for 9 hours and am interested if the ACC stays running all day, or if you just turn it on say 15-20 minutes before you leave the office, etc. Thanks ahead of time for the info!

I've driven both solid roof and pano roof Teslas, and the solid roof is much better...

The pano roof lets too much sun in... YOU AND YOUR CAR WILL COOK.

You definitely need solid heavy tinting on all windows and cover up the pano w/ "something".

Not advisable in hot climate/sunny places like Las Vegas....

THAT'S MY EXPERIENCE...

Reactions: AZ-3
the many newbies here should get familiar with the search feature on this site, there are numerous threads that discuss the pano and all glass roofs found on the S and X models. the consensus is that the glass is well tinted and there isn't much of a heat build up because of all the glass on top.

LOL well sooooorry for searching in Model 3 forum which came up with nothing and asking for advice as it relates to the Model 3 from other Tesla owners. The ladder portion of your answer was more than sufficient thanks. Sorry not all of us have been all over the Telsa form and part of all of the conversations Mr. 3391 posts, I'm getting there but new to the Tesla family :) Also wanted to reference specifically the new Model 3 sunshade which someone just posted about and more so about anyone with experience in a climate like Las Vegas.

@SocalMS thanks for the info and your experience!! The glass roof just looks so nice :) I've seen a bunch of reviews for tinting places in Vegas that have done a number of Tesla's so figured I would start there.

I think that the pano roof (when I had a Tesla that had that) was ok with sunny climates. The issue is that, while it does help with the amount of sun getting in... I felt that the window itself got warm which, in turn, warmed the interior air.

I am waiting for a CPO that has a solid roof (although black) so it will be interesting to see how much difference it is. I do plan on tinting the windows as well -- not sure on what level or brand yet.

Reactions: Gtosnipey
My X has the large windshield, and I do feel some heat from the Sun, but much less than I had expected. The tinting they use works very well, but will never be as effective as a solid roof.

The X comes with a spring loaded, clip on Sun shield that I leave on for sunny days. I remove it when traveling through beautiful countryside as the view is pretty spectacular, and it makes the car feel much larger and more open. Before the shield was available some reported even wearing a hat to more completely block the Sun.

Imaging the Model 3 will also have something like this for the extra sunny climates. The 3 will have a much smaller interior volume than my X so I suspect it will work even better.

There is also a overheat sensor that will begin to air cool the vehicle when it gets over 115.

I am able to cool off the interior of my X using my smart phone app. Simply select climate a few minutes before entering the car, and it will quickly turn on the AC or heater and make the interior the temp I wish. Pretty cool.

I've driven both solid roof and pano roof Teslas, and the solid roof is much better...

You definitely need solid heavy tinting on all windows and cover up the pano w/ "something".

THAT'S MY EXPERIENCE...

Not mine. We have been having weeks of over 100 degrees, although may be hotter there. Like most any car, the heat comes in at the front and side windows, not the roof. General knowledge says you drop the windows for a few seconds, blow the hot air out, and turn on the air. One could use the app and pop the roof vent plus the AC, but, really?? People wander about the open air malls in 120 degrees. The Tesla AC handles the heat just fine.

I would like to see some actual side by side data on this, although, MY EXPERIENCE doesn't agree, and it certainly would not affect whether I bought a car with pano or not. The pano is for looks. It looks great, and I like to look out of it at the trees and stars.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Not mine. We have been having weeks of over 100 degrees, although may be hotter there. Like most any car, the heat comes in at the front and side windows, not the roof. General knowledge says you drop the windows for a few seconds, blow the hot air out, and turn on the air. One could use the app and pop the roof vent plus the AC, but, really?? People wander about the open air malls in 120 degrees. The Tesla AC handles the heat just fine.

I would like to see some actual side by side data on this, although, MY EXPERIENCE doesn't agree, and it certainly would not affect whether I bought a car with pano or not. The pano is for looks. It looks great, and I like to look out of it at the trees and stars.

The heat comes in from EVERYWHERE that's glass.... The more shielded you are, the more comfortable you will feel...

I have limo tent on all sides, and it can still get warm on HOT days...

With Pano roof.. (for me) it gets uncomfortably HOT w/ the little bit of sun beating down you.. it makes a difference...

.... again... Pano roof.... I DO NOT LIKE IN SUNNY AREAS...

I have the pano roof in a desert climate and my car bakes in over 100 degree heat in an open parking lot for 9 hours a day. Oh, and I have black leather interior to top it all off.

My experience is the pano is not too bad, it's the windshield and side windows that are bad. I have a sunshade that I put in the windshield and I pop the sunroof and that combined with overheat protection makes my car MUCH less hot than my husbands old Audi with a traditional sunroof sliding cover and a black interior. I havent tracked how much battery that burns in a day, but I have an 80 mile round trip commute and charge to 225 every day so it's never been an issue.

While driving the windshield and side windows let in a lot of direct sun making me hot. So my car is currently at a tint shop getting 70 3M crystalline put on all the windows including the windshield.

I think the added glass roof on the 3 is such a small part of the car that it will not make a huge difference vs metal. The rear glass is likely to be the most problematic.

The heat comes in from EVERYWHERE that's glass.... The more shielded you are, the more comfortable you will feel...

With Pano roof.. (for me) it gets uncomfortably HOT w/ the little bit of sun beating down you.. it makes a difference...

If it's regular cheap ol' limo tint, it's really not blocking much heat, just visible light.

THAT'S MY EXPERIENCE...

100% agree - all glass in Phoenix or Las Vegas would be murder from May thru October 1st if your car is parked anywhere in the sun during the day.

Source: I live in Phoenix. Parents live In Las Vegas (Summerlin & Green Valley)

I've had two Pano-roof Model S's, live in SoCal and have family in Phoenix which puts us out there often in the middle of summer when the heat is oppressive. It's an absolutely non-issue for me. I don't notice it at all. In fact, the biggest complaint I have is that we generally head back home to LA in the afternoon when the sun is in the southwest and the sunlight coming in through the side windows and windshield will cook my legs. The pano-roof isn't an issue though.

100% agree - all glass in Phoenix or Las Vegas would be murder from May thru October 1st if your car is parked anywhere in the sun during the day.

Source: I live in Phoenix. Parents live In Las Vegas (Summerlin & Green Valley)

It's a small piece of glass compared to the windshield and back window, not to mention the 4 side windows. The car will get hot as heck even with a metal roof if you park it outside all day in hot climates.

The capitals in your posts remind me of Donald Trumps tweets...I'd RECCOMEND NOT using them so much.

• Funny
Yesterday I got out of work and it was 105 outside, and like 110 in the car (it felt like it lol). I guess the best thing you can do is have a cover to put out for your windshield, and a mesh cover for the front part of the glass, and I guess we will have to see about the back portion. I will also be taking it in to have the windows tinted as well.

Thanks for all of the feedback, sounds like heat in general from the side and front windows are the largest problem, and the Pano shouldn't introduce any additional crazy heat problems. I will just have to deal with the normal Vegas heat issues. I'm looking forward to being able to kick on the AC 10-15 minutes before walking out of the office though #cantwait

The capitals in your posts remind me of Donald Trumps tweets...I'd RECCOMEND NOT using them so much.

** MAGA and NOTED. Thanks. :)

Is that legal in LA (not judging, just wondering)? I had the legal tint for Vegas with my previous car and it was fine ... but I do wonder if getting limo for the sides and back wouldn't be a bad idea.

What is your front tinted at?

** Technically not legal in So Cal.. but I'm taking my chances at this point.. it's too hot. And I'd rather drive comfortably rather than cook w/ the sun beating down on me...

For the front I have a 6" tint coming from the top... which helps A LOT!

Is that legal in LA (not judging, just wondering)? I had the legal tint for Vegas with my previous car and it was fine ... but I do wonder if getting limo for the sides and back wouldn't be a bad idea.

What is your front tinted at?

Do a search for tint. I haven't found a high end tint that goes as dark as limo tint (5%). If you're looking for privacy, that's the way to go... but at the expense of pretty much everything else. I had it on my old Civic. Totally regretted it after a while. It's too dark to see out of. Especially at night.

My concern, and it appears yours as well, is heat rejection. The high end stuff typically just gets as dark as 30%. And the heat rejection rate is way, way higher than your regular limo tint.

I'm currently debating between some combo (or just one of) Prestige's Spectra Photosync, 3M's Crystalline, or Huper Optik's Ceramic line.

My past 3 cars have had V-Kool 70 in the front (not ideal because it's metallic based so affects signals but was the best light tint at the time) and Huper Optik 30 in the back. I don't think anyone uses V-Kool anymore because there are much better products out there now if you want a really light tint (I did light cuz I got pulled over a lot in my Civic cuz of that limo tint). Still, V-Kool 70 outperformed the Civic's limo tint even though it was much lighter. Cops in CA do seem to enforce tint a lot less on higher end cars, but in some cities, they'll give a Ferrari a tint ticket if they see it.

You're looking for a tint's TSER (Total Solar Energy Rejection) rating vs it's VLT (Visible Light Transmission). That's the heat it rejects vs how dark it looks. 30% VLT is my sweet spot. Dark enough for some privacy, but light enough to see easily out of. 40 is way too light for me and 20 is just starting to feel a little too dark, although I think 20 is ok too if privacy is very important.