Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic doors and kids - Safety concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't worry about the doors, this is how old our daughter was when we first got the X.

28709774022_12f33a103c_c_d.jpg

This is her now!!

50026353341_41abde48a2_c_d.jpg

I estimate she is in the car 80% of the time we have driven it, FWD are absolutely fantastic when you have kids, they make the X a truly unique family wagon. We love ours anf wouldnt swap if for any other car onsale today :).

Don't worry about the doors, this is how old our daughter was when we first got the X.

This is her now!!

I estimate she is in the car 80% of the time we have driven it, FWD are absolutely fantastic when you have kids, they make the X a truly unique family wagon. We love ours anf wouldnt swap if for any other car onsale today :).

She's adorable :)

Thanks a lot for the responses. I guess we have to play around with the doors a bit more on our next test drive and also simulate some more real life kind of situations (it's clear that the guys in the video try really hard to get things crushed, what your kids probably won't do with their fingers...)

Actually, my daughter got hit by the self presenting door as she was running toward the car and I was close behind. The car sensed my key and opened the door. She happened to be right there and got bumped.

The auto opening is a liability, even potentiality into traffic when parked up etc. Disabled it almost since taking delivery.

Reactions: VikH
The auto opening is a liability, even potentiality into traffic when parked up etc. Disabled it almost since taking delivery.

I guess that's easy enough to fix, we were more worried about the actual closing mechanisms not being sensitive to objects in their way. But that doesn't seem to be a real issue based on what can be found on the internet, so I hope we can tick this box off ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: TigaFF
I have a 2018 MX 100D and I have to say, you do have to adopt some safety behaviors. It is not good to have someone exit the front seat when the FWDs are coming down, I have beaned my girlfriend a few times... no injuries, the door stops but it hurt a little- after the second time, she yelled at me "I hate your car" and fled inside a nearby store. I am careful about calling out "clear?" when lowering the FWD, and careful about opening it as well, and don't load front passengers at the same time as the back. And if the key fob is in your tight jeans pocket, you could hit one of the lock switches on the fob and have the tailgate or the FWDs come down on your head.... I have done that a number of times too. When it gets a signal to close, the doors gives a quick beep and it is quickly followed by an "ooowww!" and then it stops and complains....

This is her now!!

I love my Model Y.. and by the way cute kid, she appears about my grandkids age...