Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic emergency braking is disable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've gotten that a couple times on my M3. It always goes away on the next drive. I'd say if you put it in park and re-engage drive and if it goes away then it's just a glitch warning. But if it stays on then I'd have it looked at. When that happens, my daugter wants me to set up hay bales and "test it out." Yeah, it would be instuctive but we're not doing that.

It appears "the next update" didn't help. I got this for the first time today. Scheduled a service appointment (12 days and 22 miles away) but hoping an update will fix it sooner. Has anybody found a way to deal with this that doesn't involve waiting for the next update?

For me, AEB is useless, false trigger will cause rear end accident by the car behind you. I wish there is option to disable AEB.
Not to defend false activations but Tesla is not the only one that has had issues with AEB. The trick is to make it sensitive enough to work when you need it without having false alarms. I have some sympathy for the automakers in this regard - if they don't make it sensitive enough groups like Consumer Reports and AAA do tests showing a failure, or there's an accident that it doesn't prevent and they get headlines saying their system failed but If they make it too sensitive they have the NHTSA investigating them.

It appears "the next update" didn't help. I got this for the first time today. Scheduled a service appointment (12 days and 22 miles away) but hoping an update will fix it sooner. Has anybody found a way to deal with this that doesn't involve waiting for the next update?
I just got my update to 2022.16.3 and I just started getting this message. It is almost consistently on/active. I will give it some time before making service appointment.

Does anyone have any real confidence that AEB will actually work and stop the car in time to prevent an accident. I have tried several times to hold off braking as I approach stopped vehicles and no matter how long I hold off braking I ALWAYS have to jump on the brakes. Once I was so close I almost really rear ended a truck.

My buddy with a Subaru demo’d his AEB and it actually started to apply the brakes, he still didn’t have the guts to let it complete the stop but it at least it was trying. If nothing else it would have scrubbed off a lot of speed before impact.

...I have tried several times to hold off braking as I approach stopped vehicles and no matter how long I hold off braking I ALWAYS have to jump on the brakes. Once I was so close I almost really rear ended a truck...
You are a very dedicated beta tester. The problem is: It's an unpaid job and if something happens, it's on you. Real testers would be covered by Tesla but not in your case as a voluntary tester.

That's why we really need the government to do all the tests first before releasing the products to us so we don't risk our necks to do them.

You are a very dedicated beta tester. The problem is: It's an unpaid job and if something happens, it's on you. Real testers would be covered by Tesla but not in your case as a voluntary tester.

That's why we really need the government to do all the tests first before releasing the products to us so we don't risk our necks to do them.
I agree. And the few YouTube videos are inclusive at best. I don’t trust it, maybe that’s why the NHTSA is investigating Tesla’s rear ending emergency vehicles. Given all the tech installed in a Tesla, NO Tesla should rear end any parked vehicle.

Does anyone have any real confidence that AEB will actually work and stop the car in time to prevent an accident. I have tried several times to hold off braking as I approach stopped vehicles and no matter how long I hold off braking I ALWAYS have to jump on the brakes. Once I was so close I almost really rear ended a truck.

My buddy with a Subaru demo’d his AEB and it actually started to apply the brakes, he still didn’t have the guts to let it complete the stop but it at least it was trying. If nothing else it would have scrubbed off a lot of speed before impact.
The one instance where I potentially needed AEB it worked - a pedestrian came out from between some cars parallel parked next to the lane I was driving in and AEB slammed on the brakes for me. Now, he actually looked straight at me and turned at the corner of his car to go up to the driver's door, so he never entered the traffic lane but AEB didn't know his intent and responded appropriately.

AEB is a backup for the driver, not the other way around. People get worked up because the AEB system isn't perfect but even if it misses 20% of the cases it still gets 80% more of the cases that the human missed.

My Y has slapped on the brakes unexpectedly approximately 16,734 times in 4,700 miles. However, once in the middle of the night, lonely narrow dirt road out in the country, trees and bushes on both sides, no other cars around. It came to a complete stop, so I just waited and looked around to see if I could figure out why. After 20 or 30 seconds, I could make out a deer standing in the bushes by the side of the road. In a little bit the deer walked out on the road, turned and walked up to the front of the car, looked at it a while, then turned around and sauntered slowly down the middle of the road. At 50' or so away, the car began to slowly follow him. After a bit the deer veered off to the left side and wandered away and the car resumed on down the road. So all the stupid stuff that I hate is offset by absolutely brilliant behavior sometimes. I was impressed, because it took me a long time to see the deer, but the car did exactly the right thing.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Way back in the 1970s the Intel marketing guy who handled the watch chip I designed also handled the auto industry. He told me that an early application of electronics in cars would be for emergency braking, but that it would only activate when a crash was inevitable--to lessen the severity. It took many years longer than his contacts in the business were thinking then, but I do think that type of automatic emergency braking is somewhat common now.

In which case carrying out your own tests might not be a great idea.

Started getting this today. Anyone else? Aeb was working just fine before. Anyone that went in for service have fixes to share?
Same here. Just started getting it also. Sometimes it comes on and goes off right away. Other times it will stay on throughout the entire drive. I’d tried soft reboot, hard reboot, power off and re-calibration of the cameras. It still pops up at some point on every drive. I’m on the latest FSD beta.

Started getting this today. Anyone else? Aeb was working just fine before. Anyone that went in for service have fixes to share?
Same here just started happening a week or so ago. I’m very tech savvy and have tried everything possible (soft and hard reboots, power off, camera recalibrations, wheel recalibrations etc) It happens randomly. Sometimes it disappears immediately but other times it remains throughout the entire drive. I’m on the latest FSD firmware. 2022.20.17
I’m trying to solve it on my own without a service appt. Anyone know if this is a glitch? Thx.

Attachments

• 28DA73C6-52B6-452B-8998-F91A242B1BB5.jpeg
    28DA73C6-52B6-452B-8998-F91A242B1BB5.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 174