TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Automatic Emergency Braking Issue

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Finn211, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Finn211

Finn211 New Member

Very annoyed to find out that the AEB only works at speeds greater than 7 mph after a fender bender in bumper to bumper traffic. I looked over at the screen while stopped because of phantom issues (volume turning up to the maximum, random searches, basically it looked like a it was being taken over by a child. Tesla has ordered a new display to try and correct this issue) and I rear ended someone at 5 mph. I am fully aware I should not have looked away and the autopilot is not perfect. Just very frustrated that the car couldn't warn me or brake as we rolled into someone at 5 mph (speed confirmed by Tesla technician).

2. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Are you saying that EAP was engaged?

3. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

If EAP or TACC was engaged, the car would have stopped in time. I always have those on in bumper to bumper traffic.

• Like x 1
  4. Finn211

Finn211 New Member

Yes. They said that I had gradually pressed the accelerator to go from 0 to 5 mph before the collision. I keep my foot on the accelerator as a default, but I do not believe I pressed the pedal. I can see that maybe it being there by default would cause it to go in 1% and maybe that is what they registered.

Even so, there will be no warnings or braking below 7 mph regardless if the accelerator was pressed which I find frustrating. Old technology assists you while parking at 1 mph so why is this difficult for Tesla?

5. Finn211

Finn211 New Member

The Tesla technician who reviewed my vehicle log said that it was engaged and the reason I didn’t receive warnings was because of the low speed while accelerating.

6. TurnFast

TurnFast Member

My understanding is AEB is just designed to reduce the severity of an impact once it’s determined that an impact is imminent (as in it’s decided you are definitely about to have a collision, it’s just a question of how bad it’s going to be). AFAIK it doesn’t prevent collisions.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  7. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

It would be difficult for the system to know if you're in danger at low speed. They could make the EAP kick in but I would imagine that there will be a lot of false positives.

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

You're still alive so I don't think emergency braking was necessary. Without creep on, the car only moves when you tell it to.

What do you have listed here?:
    Controls > Safety & Security > Settings > Park Assist Chimes.

9. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I also keep my foot on the accelerator at all times to cope with the common phantom braking issues, but usually hovering over it, not touching. I noticed that even the slightest touch can get it to register as accelerating, thus invalidating all self-braking systems in place.

As far as I'm aware, the car will not brake at all (EAP or AEB) if you're pressing on the accelerator, so this seems to be working as intended. Tesla will not override the driver's actions. I should know, I got used to pressing the accelerator as lightly as possible while using AutoPilot to help with the gigantic gaps it leaves in front, even at distance 1.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. StellarRat

StellarRat Member

#10 StellarRat, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Maybe you should watch the road. There's no excuse for running into someone at 5 mph. I'd turn "creep" off and use "hold".

I will say this though, you should be able to set the car to not hit anything using the close range sensors. Some setting should be available that makes it stop and ask if you want to continue. That way, a false positive could be overridden by the driver (like when you're parking in a tight garage.)

11. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

In the OPs defense, I have had the music turning up to max volume on it's own over and over again, and it was the most distracting thing I have ever experienced. I had to continuously roll down the volume wheel to not damage my hearing all while trying to find a place to pull of the road so I could figure out what in the heck was going on and make it stop. The screen was flashing various cards and the map was randomly zooming in and out. It was like the whole dang thing got possessed.

So I am sympathetic to getting distracted by this in stop and go where I may not have been able to pull off the road immediately and deal with the issue.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  12. StellarRat

StellarRat Member

I haven't had anything bizarre happen. In fact, some of my minor issues have actually gone away with the latest updates.

13. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I'm a little confused about what autopilot has to do with AEB.

AEB is part of the the safety features of the car, and it's only real relationship with AP is it uses the same hardware. But, it's only a crash mitigation system.

14. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Is there not an easy way to quick mute it like there is with the S? Where you just push the button on the steering wheel?

15. RayK

RayK Member

Pushing in the left button does normally mute the radio on the 3.

16. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Muting wouldn’t stick. You muted, then it raised the volume up to max again. I couldn’t change sources to something with no input because the screen was flashing up various menus so quickly. Happened to me a couple of times early on, luckily always on an empty road. I then disabled the option for speed sensitive audio, which seemed to fix the problem, and Tesla removed the option all together in a subsequent release. My screen is still a bit wonky and I suspect needs to be replaced, but now it is confined to just needing to do the (very long) boot cycle sometimes when I get in the car.

It is interesting that the OP had that same error on a presumably more recent software release. I hope my issue doesn’t reappear.

• Informative x 2
  17. Finn211

Finn211 New Member

All I am saying is that I am frustrated that the car will loudly beep at me if I accelerate quickly and it thinks I will hit a car, but since I was not going fast enough it would not alert me. I understand the AEB could be difficult at low speeds.

The phantom issue will almost immediately unmute so you have to pull over and pull over for a hard restart. Hopefully this is fixed when they replace my display. Several times it has turned on while parked in our garage and I can hear the radio blaring.

18. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Replacing the display should fix the problem. I think the volume issue was pretty common with early builds. I'm curious, what's your VIN?

19. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

My wife and I currently have an X and S respectively, and this was a big change for us too, since we both previously had Infinitis which would always stop you regardless of speed if they thought you would hit the car in front of you. Tesla took a different approach, which was mentioned above, saying that they only used AEB at higher speeds to help reduce injury in case of an accident. My wife had come to rely on using Infiniti's AEB to stop the car for her in stop and go traffic. Now she uses autopilot for that....

....which leads into the post about what AEB has to do with Autopilot. If you are in bumper to bumper traffic, autopilot will stop you (AEB will not) and start moving again automatically but after a recent update it will on occasion ask you to resume moving manually by pushing the gas pedal. (Or at least a lot more often than it used to) I always use autopilot when driving home during rush hour to relax my feet in stop and go traffic, but I ALWAYS am watching. Especially because people always try to cut in front of me or merge, and I don't trust the car to always see that in time.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. sdrevik

sdrevik Member

I will be interested in hearing the OP's experience on getting body parts to fix the car. Recent articles seem to imply it could be a long wait.