Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Emergency Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

since the latest update I can be driving on autopilot and it will randomly apply the brakes fo4 no reason, has anyone found a solution
That's the infamous "phantom braking" event that ranges from being a minor annoyance to a show stopping bug, depending on your personality. ;) There are around five, possibly six million posts about this topic here on TMC if you feel like doing a bit of light reading. :)

But to quickly answer your question... no, there is no solution. Tesla is aware of the issue, and they're working on it.

I have to say that before 2020.36.10 (which brought stop at lights in EU) it now does phantom braking as emergency stop for me. And it never did it before. My pads are grabby, so it makes above 1g stop which, if you're unprepared, is no fun.

In Autopilot, my car will slow and stop according to the car in front as expected. However, I feel like the automatic emergency braking feature is not working unless I'm in Autopilot. I'm not game to really "test" it, but the vehicle has never shown any inclination to stop itself when just driving manually. I expected that it would always be looking to avoid a frontal collision, even when not in Autopilot. Is my expectation wrong?

Note: The car also seems really poor at seeing fixed objects, even when in autopilot. I've had to brake hard for a stopped line of traffic on a few occasions, even when in autopilot. These have been times when the vehicle in front has stopped by the time the car "sees" it.

Seems to me like the car should/could be set up to simply not allow me to drive into stuff. It seems far from that right now.

Your expectation is wrong. AEB only works IN AN EMERGENCY. When the car really think you will hit something in front of you it will engage full brakes to help stop the car and maybe cause less damage. You don't want this to engage on the road. Auto breaking in autopilot is different.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Phlier
Your expectation is wrong. AEB only works IN AN EMERGENCY. When the car really think you will hit something in front of you it will engage full brakes to help stop the car and maybe cause less damage. You don't want this to engage on the road. Auto breaking in autopilot is different.
I'm disappointed, then. The AEB should be able to be configured to ensure a virtual buffer (speed dependent) to obstacles in front at all times.

I’d say AP is still too glitchy for average urban/suburban 40-70 mph driving. But sure was awesome on the long road trip I just took from Chicago to San Fran and back. And back in the day when I went to the office it was great in stop and go 5mph bumper to bumper.