Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Garage Door Safety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Elliott 151

Stealth Performance AWD FSD White on Black, 18"
Nov 7, 2019
Los Altos, CA
I have heard a few horror stories about automatic garage doors scraping the back or front of cars because they are not pulled in far enough. Here’s a very easy solution. Raise the laser emergency stop beam up to a level that matches the height of your vehicle’s longest point. I drive in forward and so for me it’s 22 1/2 inches high, Model 3 with stock 18 inch tires. It has already saved me twice. See picture.

Attachments

• A1BCBD96-B68A-494D-9048-51211FD47386.jpeg
    A1BCBD96-B68A-494D-9048-51211FD47386.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 128
Be very careful doing that this is from DAMSA an industry group:
To reduce the risk of severe injury or death, it is essential that photoelectric sensors be installed properly according to manufacturer's instructions.
Installation Height and Horizontal Location
The top of each photoelectric eye lens is to be installed no higher than six (6) inches above the garage floor. If installation is above six (6) inches, the photoelectric eyes may not detect what they are intended to protect, an individual lying down on the garage floor under the descending door.

Each time I pull in the garage, I either say push the "voice" button and say "backup camera" or put it in reverse just to see if I am in far enough before closing the door. Or sometimes, I just get out and push the button which is by the door so I can see if it is clear.

Reactions: alexGS

I use two of these. Yes doubles. I mount it on the side wall at about 16-18", not the ceiling. I point it across the entrance and at the back of the garage. I use 1 to shoot straight across and when I can see the laser on the wall, I know I am in far enough. Then I took the other pointer and bounce if off a cosmetic mirror mounted next to where the first one hits. The mirror reflects it to the wall above where the device is mounted but at the 5 foot mark. When I can see both or either, I know I am in far enough to close the door. Same for the back wall. Takes 10x longer to explain it than it does to glance for a red light and be done.

If you are worried about door sensor height when you raise the, pickup another set of sensors on Amazon and mount a set at 4 inches and one at 16 inches be done.

Former Garage door installer here....

The safety door beam is near the ground for a very good reason. Went on calls where the garage door had crushed lawn chairs, cats or boxes. The door motor is the least sensitive at the end of its travel and in the old days a lot of openers wouldnt reverse if encountering something down low.

I use a 2x4 as a wheel stop.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Each time I pull in the garage, I either say push the "voice" button and say "backup camera" or put it in reverse just to see if I am in far enough before closing the door. Or sometimes, I just get out and push the button which is by the door so I can see if it is clear.

This is way easier. Helps center it too.

You can also see I have a roller on the top of the garage door in case someone hits the button with the gate open.
It saved my Jeep Summit Gate once from damage.

49660352616_2391a2a39a_h_d.jpg

I have heard a few horror stories about automatic garage doors scraping the back or front of cars because they are not pulled in far enough. Here’s a very easy solution. Raise the laser emergency stop beam up to a level that matches the height of your vehicle’s longest point. I drive in forward and so for me it’s 22 1/2 inches high, Model 3 with stock 18 inch tires. It has already saved me twice. See picture.
i use the rear back up camera to see that I have parked far enough. There’s a line that’s on my garage door floor where if I see the line I’ve cleared the garage door. I wouldn’t move the sensors. It’s there to save people, kids, little dogs etc.

I have a pink Post-it Note affixed to the garage wall on the passenger side. When I pull in, I look over to the right and when the side mirror just clears the Post-it, I know I'm in far enough.

I do something similar. I have a visual marker (vertical line) on my left side garage wall where I park. I just eye-ball it when my driver side B-pillar lines up with the marker, I know for sure I’m clear of the garage door.

Former Garage door installer here....

The safety door beam is near the ground for a very good reason. Went on calls where the garage door had crushed lawn chairs, cats or boxes. The door motor is the least sensitive at the end of its travel and in the old days a lot of openers wouldnt reverse if encountering something down low.
When I installed my opener, I researched the possibility of a second sensor. Nobody had one and no possibility to add one.
Like most industries, they only do the minimum required.

Yes I thought about that option. It might be possible with mirrors to create a zigzag beam from a lower sensor on one side to a higher one on the other.

You would think this is a concern for most people parking their car they would add this function.

Yeah, it's crazy that the garage door manufacturers only think we want to protect dead people and really stupid cats from getting squished by the door and that we really want to have our cars scratched and dented by the same door.

It's one reason why Tesla's $300 automatic garage door is an accident waiting to happen.

Yeah, it's crazy that the garage door manufacturers only think we want to protect dead people and really stupid cats from getting squished by the door and that we really want to have our cars scratched and dented by the same door.

It's one reason why Tesla's $300 automatic garage door is an accident waiting to happen.
Tesla has a $300 automatic garage door?

• Funny
Reactions: BluestarE3