Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

automatic headlights, model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car for a month now. I set my headlights on auto. Having driven at night several times, they have never switched to the high beam.
I read the manual again and noticed that the symbol for Automatic HLs, is a light with a A in the center. I don't see that at all. Set the auto in the control menu, the auto blue square is lit.
Can't figure it out.
J

X adopts some of the designs and components from Mercedes. for examples, auto brake hold, all the stalks, windows switches, and earlier version of air suspension are exactly the same as Mercedes. And the auto high beam too operates the same way as Mercedes by pushing the turn signal stalk toward dashboard, however, I feel it reacts (i.e. switch in between high and low beams) slower than it should be.

Yes, that worked. When the headlights are on, you push the lever toward the dash and the Auto symbol comes on the dash. Of coarse, you have to have the settings in line.
Thanks for your help.
J
Yep! It is really more like an "auto-dim" feature, as you select hi-beam and it dims for oncoming traffic and then returns to hi. However, bright isn't enough for my eyes.

I've had my car for a month now. I set my headlights on auto. Having driven at night several times, they have never switched to the high beam.
I read the manual again and noticed that the symbol for Automatic HLs, is a light with a A in the center. I don't see that at all. Set the auto in the control menu, the auto blue square is lit.
Can't figure it out.
J
Auto high beam actually works different way than you think.
When you turn on high beam by pushing the lever away at dark, high beam is only on when there is no on coming cars. Otherwise, it will turn off automatically.
It prevents blinding on coming drivers.