Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that the automatic main beam does not activate at low speeds. It seems that, after being at a stand still, the car has to be going at least 26 mph before the main beam activates. It seems to me that it would be better if this was a % of speed limit on the road rather than an absolute speed.

Also, is anyone aware of any way of adjusting this, other than (horror of horrors) using manual activation.

I have the 26mph problem on all my Teslas (Model X,3,Y). My neighborhood is pretty dark at night and the speed limit is 20mph. I speed up to 26mph briefly just to activate the high beams. I have to do this when leaving my house. Before entering the neighborhood, I disable the auto-high beams and then turn them on when inside. They will then active at 20mph, but if an oncoming car turns them off, they will not reactivate.

Newer Honda's with automatic high beam are also 25 mph to activate like others mentioned above. Will turn off if you drop below around 15 mph (once active). Now if you want a really painful one, the 2019 Honda Pilot won’t activate under 45 mph and turned off below 25mph. 1/2 my drive to work is on small, curve filled rural roads. Rarely get to 45 and often drop down < 25 mph for sharp curves. . .