Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic High Beams Suck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only that's not true... You haven't been deceived at all... Grow up...

Jeff

Tesla said Auto High-beams will roll-out in December 2016 (including things like AEB, Auto-wipers.)

Fact.

Not expected, not pending... will come.

They did not come, nor do they work very well even now, a much later date. (AEB also came very late and auto-wipers are still not out.)

Fact.

Certainly people ended up being deceived by this.

Last edited:
I agree with bonnie in that the engineers probably don't deserve the blame. It is easy to imagine they are doing the best they can.

Tesla the company and the management, though, definitely do. Because it seems obvious they introduced a half-baked product on the market (and probably misled the public in Q4 regarding what EAP/AEB expected/will be in December 2016) for business reasons.

What do you mean the engineers dont deserve the blame? Sure they do. Someone in their bright mind to save $30 decided that they could get away without a sensor and use the cameras instead. If they were going to remove the sensor in AP1 cars they surely should have had a working solution before they made that decision. These are stupid decisions to try to save a few bucks on a car in which for most of us cost $100k.

• Love
Reactions: oktane
AP2 is a completely different beast when it comes to both the technology and even, surprisingly, many on-screen markings and how they work. So basically pretty much nothing that applies to AP1 applies to AP2, they just have to be considered as completely separate...
My experience is the markings are the same. On an AP2 car you need to:
1. from the Main Screen, turn on auto high beams.
2. take the turn signal stalk and push it forward (as if you were turning high beams on). At this point you will have a grayed out indicator of high beams on the dashboard display.
3. When darkness turns the headlights on, you will see a lit up green low beam display next to the gray high beam display on the dashboard. When the system takes you to high-beams, you will see the green low beam symbol disappear and the gray high beam display will turn blue.

The key to auto-high beams is to have the stalk pushed forward and to see the grayed out high beam indicator on the dash. My recollection is that these are the exact same indicators as on an AP1 car, but it's been a while since I drove an AP1 car...

What do you mean the engineers dont deserve the blame? Sure they do. Someone in their bright mind to save $30 decided that they could get away without a sensor and use the cameras instead. If they were going to remove the sensor in AP1 cars they surely should have had a working solution before they made that decision. These are stupid decisions to try to save a few bucks on a car in which for most of us cost $100k.

My parent's 1970-something Chrysler Imperial had auto high beams that worked great. It was a little "eye" shaped sensor on the dash. If Chrysler could do it 45 years ago, I'm kinda puzzled why Tesla can't do it in 2017. Forchrisakes, SpaceX can send a rocket into orbit and land it back safely on the earth -- but they cant get auto-high-beams to work?

Oh, that's right, we do get "rainbow road" and "more cowbell" instead.

I had a chance to try out the auto high beams again on Saturday night, and they, again, as far as I could tell, worked absolutely perfectly. When there were no cars in front of me and low ambient light, they turned on. When a car came around a corner, or the whole street was already lit up, they turned off.

Going back to an earlier comment by oktane, they don't appear to work entirely off of total brightness. I saw them turn off from relatively dim brakelights far ahead, but stay on for an intensely bright street light on the other side of the street(with my side of the street still dark). The only time I saw them turn off for general lighting, as opposed to due to other cars, was when the entire street, including my side of it, was fully lit.

The new auto high beam is a smart system. Will detect dim taillights far ahead, and dim lights so you don't dazzle him from behind.

It may also detect reflections from street signs etc, and dim when not necessary. The LED lights provide more dazzle than the standard lights of before, so much more "smarts" will be necessary to get them optimized.

Typical Tesla, they will get smarter, and more improved, as the engineers get more data from customers using them.

I consider this to just be version 1, with improvements coming as available.

I have had auto headlights in several vehicles before, and all of them had their own "personality"

Reactions: drklain
OK, I'll bite.

I am moving away from Tesla as soon as I can.

I'll be honest, (which I hope everyone appreciates), as far as Tesla are concerned I'm a lost repeat customer. Until they address some more key issues, I'm not going back.

Focus is not one one of those reasons. (Quite the contrary actually)
Are you saying they are too focused? I know it's off topic but what are the top three things causing you grief?

I had a chance to try out the auto high beams again on Saturday night, and they, again, as far as I could tell, worked absolutely perfectly. When there were no cars in front of me and low ambient light, they turned on. When a car came around a corner, or the whole street was already lit up, they turned off.

Going back to an earlier comment by oktane, they don't appear to work entirely off of total brightness. I saw them turn off from relatively dim brakelights far ahead, but stay on for an intensely bright street light on the other side of the street(with my side of the street still dark). The only time I saw them turn off for general lighting, as opposed to due to other cars, was when the entire street, including my side of it, was fully lit.

Will be interesting to see if your opinion holds up with further use. I want to try them again tonight and see if my opinion has changed at all, perhaps they are improving on the road but I doubt it. In my limited use it seemed like an ambient light sensor but image recognition or camera best approach would make more sense given the hardware like you suggested.

Are you saying they are too focused? I know it's off topic but what are the top three things causing you grief?
The issue is the focus seems to be on share price over anything else. It's unlike anything I've ever experienced in buying such an expensive product, and it feels like it's SP first, customer second. The three areas where I feel this surfaces most are:

- The crazy, crazy delivery rushes in the final days per quarter, simply lead to human errors and poor quality. (in my case both car and customer services).

- The constant product churn, where your expensive car is obsolete in some cases even before it's delivered.

- The discrepancy between promised timelines and reality (in the case of AP2). It's indicative of an over promise (to the markets), under deliver (to the customer) mentality.

• Love
Reactions: alcibiades
The issue is the focus seems to be on share price over anything else. It's unlike anything I've ever experienced in buying such an expensive product, and it feels like it's SP first, customer second. The three areas where I feel this surfaces most are:

- The crazy, crazy delivery rushes in the final days per quarter, simply lead to human errors and poor quality. (in my case both car and customer services).

- The constant product churn, where your expensive car is obsolete in some cases even before it's delivered.

- The discrepancy between promised timelines and reality (in the case of AP2). It's indicative of an over promise (to the markets), under deliver (to the customer) mentality.
I can't argue with you. I'm just hoping it's a take no prisoners rush to the Model 3. Hopefully once they prove themselves with M3 they can step back and not be so concerned with the company surviving. I think Elon needs to forfeit some of his billions at that point and issue some refunds to the AP2 people that were told parity would be in late December. I also think they need to quit promising FSD. I can't see out of my rear view camera when it's raining, half the time, so I do think the car is going to do very well driving around half blind. Sorry, what thread is this?

Our 2015 model 85D was a much better car than our new P 100 D. Our auto highbeams do not work at all.
Our P 100 D was delivered this spring.
Our P 100 D was delivered to us with a bent front fender.
Tesla replace the fender and it matches almost perfectly.
We should have kept our 85D instead of spending 156,000 on the new P 100 D.
I love technology and love Elon's passion, but Tesla needs to deliver on quality and forget submarines and cowbells.
I will stick withTesla and expect better in the future.
This is a big leap since I am a Trump guy, but hope springs eternal.
Maybe when we go to Mars my AP2 will do headlights and wipers !!!!!! And run auto pilot smooth as silk

Reactions: oktane

Marcus, Have you ever encountered any Tesla component that didn't work perfectly, flawlessly, all the time? Do you ever stop cheering??

Marcus, Have you ever encountered any Tesla component that didn't work perfectly, flawlessly, all the time? Do you ever stop cheering??

Yep, as I've noted elsewhere, autosteering in 17.17.X was pretty jerky on curves, and auto steering in 17.24.28 was pretty bad in stop-and-go traffic(I received 17.26.76 yesterday, but haven't had a chance to try it). I've also been unable to ever see a prompt for perpendicular parking since getting 17.24.28(although even the AP1 version of that seemed useless to me).

I comment honestly on my experience with each feature. I recognize, and have stated, that other people are having more problems than I am and that at least some of them appear to be objectively exhibiting radically different behavior. Along these lines, I've commented on Tesla having a major QC problem that needs to be solved.

Attack me for my positivity if you want. It's true: I really enjoy this car. And I'm not going to pretend to have problems I don't have.