Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic payments accepted by Gen 3 Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrek and CNET reported the Gen 3 Wall Connector can or will accept automatic payments for electricity consumed. This will significantly help EV adoption in condominiums and apartment buildings because HOAs are very reluctant to add EVSE if there's no way to automatically bill the user. There is no widely accepted viable solution until now.

Chargepoint, Blink, and other EVSE manufacturers offer a very expensive solution to this problem costing $7200 or a $240/mo lease. But, very few HOAs are willing to budget $240/mo for a few EV owners. Add to this high equipment cost, installation by an electrician which often runs into thousands depending on distance from electrical distribution. Therefore, most condominium and apartment dwellers can't get home charging. And lack of home charging significantly impairs EV adoption.

But if the Wall Connector can bring equipment cost down from $7200 to $500, I foresee many more MDUs (multi-dwelling units) installing Tesla chargers. While you still have to pay for electrician installation, at least the EV Source Equipment has a much lower cost and the HOA isn't responsible for electricity consumed.

There is no information on this new WC capability at the Tesla website. Does anyone know if it is a current or future feature of the gen3 WC?

I wonder how Tesla will implement direct billing to the user. The HOA or apartment manager must establish the cost for electricity. Users must automatically transfer money monthly into a debit account tied to the WC. The operator can choose to make a profit or subsidize energy cost. Maybe user's Tesla app can start and stop WC charging.

I wonder how Tesla will implement direct billing to the user. The HOA or apartment manager must establish the cost for electricity. Users must automatically transfer money monthly into a debit account tied to the WC. The operator can choose to make a profit or subsidize energy cost. Maybe user's Tesla app can start and stop WC charging.
I see it working just like superchargers... Tesla will collect and redistribute to charger owners, probably taking an Apple-like commission on the way. Transparent for the users and convenient for charger owners.

I agree, Tesla probably will allow WC manager to set a KWhr rate for electricity consumed. Then manager can transfer funds to his bank account. Think about how many more vehicles Tesla will sell if condominium and apartment dwellers can get a home charger. I see no need for a Tesla commission on transactions. Let's hope their software engineers are working on valuable projects such as the WC instead of more useless games.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD and ElectricIAC
Tesla will manage the connection, and collect the money for the wall connector owner using the WiFi connection of the wall connector. They will, naturally, take an administrative cost. My understanding is it will work just like the Superchargers. Connecting a Tesla to the Wall Connector will automatically verify and use the vehicle owners account with Tesla for billing. The wall connector owner will receive a payment for the use and electricity, minus the Tesla administrative charges.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Lol, no.

You’ll plug in and your car will start charging. Tesla will bill your card on file, and distribute payment to the property owner, minus their 30% skim.

Agree, you stated it better than me. Currently, my ChargePoint account bills CC $20 monthly. It's a sweet deal set up by management company for unlimited use. Hopefully, that's a typo error for Tesla skim. 3.0% sounds realistic.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Agree, you stated it better than me. Currently, my ChargePoint account bills CC $20 monthly. It's a sweet deal set up by management company for unlimited use. Hopefully, that's a typo error for Tesla skim. 3.0% sounds realistic.
They pay 2 - 3% to the credit card company.

it’s going to cost them SW development, servers, bandwidth, fraud chargebacks, etc.

It is amazing and terrifying at the same time the number of adults who can't comprehend that businesses charge money for things because there are costs involved. Costs beyond raw materials like @brkaus is listing.

To those who think everything should be at raw material cost, electricity in this case, why don't you tell your employer to stop billing for your contribution to their product or service.........