Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic payments accepted by Gen 3 Wall Connector?

beatle

Aug 31, 2019
Springfield, VA
While Tesla may not want this new feature to be a loss leader, I can see them keeping their fee minimal to allow their chargers to penetrate the market. Look at the rate to charge at a supercharger (relatively low or even free) vs. the huge infrastructure investment. In this case, Tesla is not shelling out for any infrastructure - that's on the property owner. They are just using their existing supercharger model to outsource level 2 charging infrastructure.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Look at the rate to charge at a supercharger (relatively low or even free) vs. the huge infrastructure investment.
I don’t think you can call Supercharger fees “relatively low” any more with prices brushing $0.40/kWh in California and other places. Not unreasonable given all of the costs that go into building and maintaining the network, but that’s basically equivalent to the price of gas in many places.

I think they’d need to skim 15% just to break even after development costs, transaction fees, customer support (both property owner and end user), and so on.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC