Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic payments accepted by Gen 3 Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While Tesla may not want this new feature to be a loss leader, I can see them keeping their fee minimal to allow their chargers to penetrate the market. Look at the rate to charge at a supercharger (relatively low or even free) vs. the huge infrastructure investment. In this case, Tesla is not shelling out for any infrastructure - that's on the property owner. They are just using their existing supercharger model to outsource level 2 charging infrastructure.

Reactions: CLK350
Look at the rate to charge at a supercharger (relatively low or even free) vs. the huge infrastructure investment.
I don’t think you can call Supercharger fees “relatively low” any more with prices brushing $0.40/kWh in California and other places. Not unreasonable given all of the costs that go into building and maintaining the network, but that’s basically equivalent to the price of gas in many places.

I think they’d need to skim 15% just to break even after development costs, transaction fees, customer support (both property owner and end user), and so on.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Still confused.. did this feature ever roll out?
We're stumped too. It is very confusing whether this is really deployed or not. So far, there is one thread here on TMC where one person encountered it in one place. And even at that once place, no one has been able to talk with anyone that knows how it was set up or who manages it or how it works. That's it. There have been no other reports of it anywhere, and it's not in the current firmware for the wall connectors. So it's like a ghost story as of now.

I couldn’t wait any longer for Gen3 WC to collect payments, so surveyed market for a good generic EVSE with same capability. Only a few vendors have adequate software to manage multiple accounts and direct billing. Pricing from ChargePoint was ridiculously high and they provide no useful features over competition. It’s important to examine transaction fees and annual software maintenance fee for total cost of ownership. Most vendors only use their commercial product line for these functions so the hardware costs more.

I chose the Enel-X Juicebox Pro 48. Transaction fee is only 2.9% + 30 cents via Stripe. Enel doesn’t skim any funds like others. MSRP on charger is about $1400 and you might find a small discount at a reseller. Software is robust with considerable data on every tran and notices to users. Current software allows 2 rates, Registered User & Guest rates. Activation is via QR code or RFID card. I think one EVSE will support 5-7 users at out condominium if people move their vehicle when charging is done.

I couldn’t wait any longer for Gen3 WC to collect payments, so surveyed market for a good generic EVSE with same capability. Only a few vendors have adequate software to manage multiple accounts and direct billing. Pricing from ChargePoint was ridiculously high and they provide no useful features over competition. It’s important to examine transaction fees and annual software maintenance fee for total cost of ownership. Most vendors only use their commercial product line for these functions so the hardware costs more.

I chose the Enel-X Juicebox Pro 48. Transaction fee is only 2.9% + 30 cents via Stripe. Enel doesn’t skim any funds like others. MSRP on charger is about $1400 and you might find a small discount at a reseller. Software is robust with considerable data on every tran and notices to users. Current software allows 2 rates, Registered User & Guest rates. Activation is via QR code or RFID card. I think one EVSE will support 5-7 users at out condominium if people move their vehicle when charging is done.
I like the Juicebox definitely. The upfront cost is kind of high, and then there's an annual service fee on top of that. If I can get the board to agree to something like that, I agree it could be the move.

I like the Juicebox definitely. The upfront cost is kind of high, and then there's an annual service fee on top of that. If I can get the board to agree to something like that, I agree it could be the move.
My board agreed to the purchase, but it helps to be president too. I paid up-front for 5 years on software and got a large discount. One option is to make a a profit on sale of electricity to cover the cost of the charger in about 24 months.

My board agreed to the purchase, but it helps to be president too. I paid up-front for 5 years on software and got a large discount. One option is to make a a profit on sale of electricity to cover the cost of the charger in about 24 months.
I was working on a revenue model for that reason… hopefully I can use it to convince them. Rumor has it there’s at least one EV nay-sayer on the Board.

I was working on a revenue model for that reason… hopefully I can use it to convince them. Rumor has it there’s at least one EV nay-sayer on the Board.
As you probably are aware, know your friends, but also know your enemies better. Find out nay-sayer's objections and try to neutralize them. Then individually talk to each other board member sharing the nay-sayer's concerns and learn if they agree or disagree. This way there are no surprises when voting. Remember, majority rules and an unanimous vote isn't required.