Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

automatic stopping for lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand, you can't influence the drive without defeating the feature. It is something the software developers need to instill.

That's the point. You need to override it or defeating it and that's how the learning occurs.

So while your automation is guiding the car toward the red light with no sign of slowing down.

If you do nothing and let it continues its behavior, it never changes.

However, if you apply the brake, overriding the system, defeating the system, it would pick up that there's a disengagement.

It would compare how many disengagements in that scenario and it would learn that it needs to slow down in the future so that human does not have to do that for the scenario.

Again, it's the principle of Artificial Intelligence and there's no guarantee that the system will learn from your disengagement.

Is there any point in recording a bug report when stop light recognition goes wrong? I was heading to the airport (Victoria, BC) this morning about an hour before sunrise. The intersectionS on Hwy 17 has two lights for the two traffic lanes (i.e., 2 in each direction) and a third light for the left turn lane. The left turn light was red, the other two green. As my Model X approached, it responded to the left turn light, even though I was in the right through lane. This happened twice. The first time, I thought it was just slowing down to the speed limit, and I over-rode it early. The second time I waited longer to see what it was doing, since there was nobody behind me. It slowed right down and was nearly stopped before I gave up and hit the pedal. The instrument panel indicated a red line across my lane as I drove through the intersection, even though the light was clearly still green. I tried to record a bug report, but voice recognition didn’t work. Offered to navigate to Palo Alto and other options.

...I tried to record a bug report, but voice recognition didn’t work...

You can also submit a report on the webpage:

Contact | Tesla

and someone will redirect your content to the correct department.

I suspect that most reports will not be prioritized because Tesla is trying to beat the clock to achieve FSD feature complete (City Navigation by Autopilot) by the end of this year (5 more months).

By the way, "feature complete" is not the same as "perfect feature".

Tesla lists which features are standard Autopilot and which are FSD.

Each time it can do something like smart summon then that's another feature to be checked off as done or "feature complete" even though that feature is not that good or perfect just yet.

Reactions: M109Rider
You can also submit a report on the webpage:

Contact | Tesla

and someone will redirect your content to the correct department.

I suspect that most reports will not be prioritized because Tesla is trying to beat the clock to achieve FSD feature complete (City Navigation by Autopilot) by the end of this year (5 more months).

By the way, "feature complete" is not the same as "perfect feature".

Tesla lists which features are standard Autopilot and which are FSD.

Each time it can do something like smart summon then that's another feature to be checked off as done or "feature complete" even though that feature is not that good or perfect just yet.
That site is not a big reporting site. You have to choose from a set list of topics, none of which has anything to do with bug reporting. Highly doubtful that any bug submitted there gets routed to the proper person or dept.

You think the car is using the friction brakes? To my knowledge, that’s not possible. The only braking the car does by itself is the regen type.

I believe the car is capable of using friction brakes (e.g. in case of emergency stop). In the context of stopping for a red light, I also expect it needs to be able to use the friction break. There are too many variables in calculating stopping time/distance for sole use of regen brake.
The car needs to be able to briskly correct itself (i.e. friction brake).

I agree that braking is too agressive. I feel that this will become a safety issue during the winter on icey roads. If your car is jamming on the brakes for a red light with another car ahead already stopped, there is a good chance your car is going to rear-end the other car.

Is it only because the programmers live in California with no snow or ice, that they can't imagine this happening?

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt